What's new

Mitchell will romp to the ROY award...

If you picked Roy today, it should be Donovan. But, the notion that Donovan has an insurmountable ROY lead on Simmons (17 ppg, 9 rpg, 8 apg),
Tatum, and the pack is certifiably nuts. And I have been a TOTAL Donovan homer from day 1.

Uhh, okay. Have you seen his December numbers? 23.1 ppg puts him around the 13-15th most prolific scorer in the NBA. And he did it at an elite 61.1 True Shooting Percent. .57 is pretty much All Star level for someone with Mitchell's volume. .611 is HOF caliber play. His assists increased as well. He made 9 more in 30 less minutes vs. November. He's improving everywhere.

Most importantly, he is dominating 4th quarters. He just bested the greatest player on the planet. He's tied for 3rd in 4th quarter points at 9.1 IIRC. When Spida wants to take over a game Spida takes over a game.

Uhh, okay. Have you seen his December numbers? 23.1 ppg puts him around the 13-15th most prolific scorer in the NBA. And he did it at an elite 61.1 True Shooting Percent. .57 is pretty much All Star level for someone with Mitchell's volume. .611 is HOF caliber play. His assists increased as well. He made 9 more in 30 less minutes vs. November. He's improving everywhere.

Most importantly, he is dominating 4th quarters. He just bested the greatest player on the planet. He's tied for 3rd in 4th quarter points at 9.1 IIRC. When Spida wants to take over a game Spida takes over a game.

Yup, if he can maintain the very recent increase in his assists that is a massive improvement to his game. It opens up so many things for him and the team. He already commands double and triple teams. If he now has the vision and passing to read that and make the right pass the Jazz just got much better.

We've already seen his playmaking ability improve over Dec. The Cavs game is the perfect example. Making accurate and correct passes to open teammates, playing off ball and cutting to the hoop, and spacing the floor for other teammates. If the Jazz could shoot a little better, he'll average another assist or two.

Man I hope he keeps this up, this is crazy.

We've already seen his playmaking ability improve over Dec. The Cavs game is the perfect example. Making accurate and correct passes to open teammates, playing off ball and cutting to the hoop, and spacing the floor for other teammates. If the Jazz could shoot a little better, he'll average another assist or two.

Man I hope he keeps this up, this is crazy.

All of this and just wait till Snyder hones the focus, drive and defensive ability that is already there. Mitchell is an all star and I can't wait to see how the Jazz build around the Gobert/Mitchell pairing.

You can laugh your *** off, but it was The King who said it.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....has-opportunity-to-be-better-than-me.amp.html

LeBron James Told Ben Simmons He Has 'Opportunity to Be Better Than Me'
Obviously Lebron knows how to get into the newspapers. Simmons' shot is MKG level of broken. He will become more and more defensible as time goes on unless he fixes that. Donovan had weaknesses also, but took the early part of November and solved them. Dude gets better week after week.

I haven’t seen frank this hyped about a jazzman in a while.
I love it

For as great as some other rookies are performing, let's not kid ourselves. Ben Simmons is still the clear runaway favorite.

— Mark Gunnels

I love Mitchell and I think he has a legit shot to win ROTY. Simmons has so much preseason hype it'll be hard for him to win it....but he's the best rookie right now for sure.
All star is a bit of a stretch, keep in mind Damian Lillard doesnt make the all star game each year. Not saying he isnt an all star caliber player, its just hard to crack the ASG in the west

yes to all that. not sure what you are disagreeing with me on, since I stated he deserves ROY if chosen today.

are you disagreeing with my belief that Donovan Mitchell's lead is not insurmountable?

If Simmons gets his **** back together it should be a tight race. And don't count Tatum out either, he seems to be improving over the year.

No one in the NBA can guard Mitchell in his rookie season. Easily legend status.

yes to all that. not sure what you are disagreeing with me on, since I stated he deserves ROY if chosen today.

are you disagreeing with my belief that Donovan Mitchell's lead is not insurmountable?

If Simmons gets his **** back together it should be a tight race. And don't count Tatum out either, he seems to be improving over the year.

Fair enough. I'm in complete homer mode for the first time in a very long time (since Millsap). Insurmountable? No, but nobody is saying anything other than he started walking away with it. So, if we are being fair, pretty much everyone is being accurate.

For Mitchell to win the Rookie of the Year, he's got to have the Jazz at least threatening to make the playoffs. That and another Rookie of the Month or two would help.

For Mitchell to win the Rookie of the Year, he's got to have the Jazz at least threatening to make the playoffs. That and another Rookie of the Month or two would help.

Apart from shooting, Simmons is better than Mitchell in every facet of the game ~ play making, rebouding, vision, defense.

Stat wise Simmons is also
much better.

unless Mitchell bumps his scoring average to around 25, I don't see how he will win it.

Simmons
17/8.5/7.4/2

Mitchell
18/3.2/3.4/1.5

sorry to burst your bubble.

Apart from shooting, Simmons is better than Mitchell in every facet of the game ~ play making, rebouding, vision, defense.

much better.

unless Mitchell bumps his scoring average to around 25, I don't see how he will win it.

Simmons
17/8.5/7.4/2

Mitchell
18/3.2/3.4/1.5

Simmons is only a better at passing because he can't score like Mitchell.

Sorry to burst your homer Australian bubble but Mitchell has been much much better in December and improving while Simmons is digressing. He is easy to game plan for. He also disappears in big moments where Mitchell takes over.

Look at per 100 possession stats and it shows how much better Mitchell is. Now look at them in December.

Mitchell can score and generate points at a higher rate than Simmons. He also plays excellent defense. He also out hustles everyone on the court.

Keep trolling though. We all know you are an Australian fan first and not really a jazz fan.

much better.

Simmons
17/8.5/7.4/2

Mitchell
18/3.2/3.4/1.5

What if Simmons stats decline though? ..... like they have been for the last month or so.

much better.

Simmons
17/8.5/7.4/2

Mitchell
18/3.2/3.4/1.5

Over the last 14 games(not including when he was pulled for injury) Donovan is averaging 25.2 pts.

Simmons is averaging 15.2 PPG in the last 14.

When we need a spark Mitchell has delivered more often than not. He's been continually clutch in close games too. Is Simmons stepping up at the most important times of the game? That's a serious question, I don't know.

And if our guys could make the wide-open shots off Donovan's perfect passes he'd have a lot more assists. Hood, Burks, JJ, etc. have brought Don's AST numbers below where they should be.

Over the last 14 games(not including when he was pulled for injury) Donovan is averaging 25.2 pts.

Simmons is averaging 15.2 PPG in the last 14.

When we need a spark Mitchell has delivered more often than not. He's been continually clutch in close games too. Is Simmons stepping up at the most important times of the game? That's a serious question, I don't know.

That is because Simmons is a pass first point guard. He is not a chucker like Mitchell.
So you are only take scoring
into consideration? How About rebounding, assists and steals where Simmons is absolutely hammering Mitchell ?

That is because Simmons is a pass first point guard. He is not a chucker like Mitchell.
So you are only take scoring
into consideration? How About rebounding, assists and steals where Simmons is absolutely hammering Mitchell ?
lol. ben simmons is hammering DM in steals? Simmons averages 1.9 steals per game. Mitchell averages 1.5 steals per game. And remember that Simmons averages 36 minutes per game and Mitchell averages 31 minutes per game.
Nice trolling.
Simmons averages more turnovers per game too (4 turnovers to mitchells 2.6)
Lol at simmons 3 point % for the year. Zero percent. he has made zero three pointers. Zero for 10. Lol at his free throw percentage too. 55%.