What's new

Potential Trade Targets

What we have seen from Hard Willy is he can get the best out of his guys. He was with Murray in SA so if anyone can get him to return to that two way player I think its Will. If he doesn't think it can happen then you don't participate in the bidding even if the price is right.

What we have seen from Hard Willy is he can get the best out of his guys. He was with Murray in SA so if anyone can get him to return to that two way player I think its Will. If he doesn't think it can happen then you don't participate in the bidding even if the price is right.
lol… my first time seeing this joke.

My money is on Hard Willy favoring a reunion with Murray.

lol… my first time seeing this joke.

My money is on Hard Willy favoring a reunion with Murray.
@fishonjazz 's wife came up with it. Something to the effect of "she came in the room and was like Will Hardy... more like Hard Willy".

And Jazzfanz was never the same.

I think he is worth a solid first tbh. So is JC... I think. Not unprotected but light protections and it will likely convey type of deal. I think Yurt would be good to help them with center depth and maybe be a Hartenstein replacement next year if he gets too pricey.

NY gets obsessed with value though so we don't have good seconds to add. Wonder if they would push for like the 2025 Minny pick and send the two protected picks they own from Detroit and Washington... now that they see those picks are going to have fairly low trade value.
Looking at the potential deal... Grimes is only cheap for 1.5 years. I would do the deal straight up or add a second rounder (I think we have some still somewhere) but not adding an unprotected pick for protected pick(s) swap. Grimes is like as good as Tech but much younger and likely has more to offer. Don't think there is a ton more there and you can always have multiple guys like that but its not such a win that you need to force something.

Depends on what Murray you are talking about. Dejounte? Or Jamal?

I wouldn't be surprised if Keyonte peaked out as a Jamal Impersonator when all is said and done. A clever scoring guard who is a dual threat to facilitate. I would be shocked if he shared what made Dejounte so intriguing, a lockdown defense first pg who is highly efficient. That just isn't Keyonte. Dejounte of yesteryear was on a pretty elite trajectory until Atlanta Hawked him like a loogie... ;).
I have seen little to no evidence that Dejounte is a "lock down defender." We currently have a very good defender at PG so I know what that looks like. That isn't current Dejounte. I guess you could project that onto him, but the runway is getting tighter.

I like him just fine, but I am not giving multiple picks and an Ochai for a non star that plays the same position as our most promising youngster. People are still complaining about John Collins blocking Hendricks and we got him for no draft capital.

JC+Ochai+FRP for Dejounte....I'd be intrigued for sure. Hendricks could take Ochai's minutes. The vibes are great, but I don't think we should drink our own koolaid too much.

THT would be a great second option if I were New York. They want a scoring punch off the bench to keep the offensive pressure while Brunson rests. THT can definitely apply offensive pressure.

I can't figure out any way to do a Grimes for THT or I would love it. But THT for one of the 1st rounders that likely will not convey seems like a steal for NY. Not sure I want to help NY out either after their stinginess and their management showing up at JazzFanz in the form of Melothejazzkiller every so often.

I think it would be fun to troll the Knicks boards right now since we have a bunch of players that could help them out but they aren't going to get them without double paying. ;)

JC/Yurt for Grimes/Fournier... do we need to add something? That checks a lot of boxes for me and I think Hardy can work with Grimes. Adds some nice salary flexibility to use to retain Simone/KO/Lauri renegotiate and extend.
It works numbers wise and NY could really use JC. If we don't feel like JC is a fit and we're looking for a player like Grimes to fill the role, then I guess.

But Grimes isn't amazing. He is averaging 6.9 points and Thib has lost faith in his defensive abilities and we will need to pay him soon. JC is CLEARLY the best player in the deal and we are essentially sending out the best player in the deal with an amazing contract for an expiring contract and the opportunity to pay Grimes who may not be tons better than Ochai. If we are doing this deal they need to send us a first rounder for me to be interested. Otherwise, I keep JC. Grimes is a decent role player who will get paid potentially more than JC very soon. The Knicks likely say no to Grimes and a first for JC. Shrug.

I think it hurts the vibes as KO seems like a great hang. Recently on court KO hasn't been fantastic but I think KO's biggest value is when we have injuries he becomes an effing all star. I have wondered if DA would like to see Hendricks after the deadline play in the KO spot in the rotation... I don't think that would sink us per se... but it would be more challenging.

So there are 3 issues on KO:

1- He's our best passer.
2- He's a great injury insurance policy.
3- He's a vibes god.

Biggest benefits in trading him:

1- whatever we get back in return
2- Getting Tay Henny more PT

If #1 is low then I am not sure you can move him. Is it worth 2-3 second rounders? I know your answer already. I think the tipping point is a late first or a potentially valuable swap... and I likely prefer the ladder.

With the way we're playing, I don't see Hendricks getting any real PT this season anyway. Hardy is certainly not going to play him just because we trade Olynyk.

With the way we're playing, I don't see Hendricks getting any real PT this season anyway. Hardy is certainly not going to play him just because we trade Olynyk.
It creates a hole in the rotation that someone needs to fill. Tay Henny would be the natural candidate I think. May not play as much as KO but would soak up 15 minutes I would guess.

It creates a hole in the rotation that someone needs to fill. Tay Henny would be the natural candidate I think. May not play as much as KO but would soak up 15 minutes I would guess.
On a playoff-bound team? Nah. Hendricks has been strictly a garbage time player this season. He's not gonna play when the going gets even tougher.

Lauri has played less minutes this season, he can easily handle a bump, with Yurt7 handling the rest.

I don't think well trade Kelly though, and we shouldn't.

Last edited:
It works numbers wise and NY could really use JC. If we don't feel like JC is a fit and we're looking for a player like Grimes to fill the role, then I guess.

But Grimes isn't amazing. He is averaging 6.9 points and Thib has lost faith in his defensive abilities and we will need to pay him soon. JC is CLEARLY the best player in the deal and we are essentially sending out the best player in the deal with an amazing contract for an expiring contract and the opportunity to pay Grimes who may not be tons better than Ochai. If we are doing this deal they need to send us a first rounder for me to be interested. Otherwise, I keep JC. Grimes is a decent role player who will get paid potentially more than JC very soon. The Knicks likely say no to Grimes and a first for JC. Shrug.
I... I actually think this deal has a real chance at happening. I think JC is the perfect contract for NY and is more desirable than the Brogdon one. They have some salary concerns starting next year so 8M less is meaningful.

Grimes is a high volume 3 point shooter and better overall defender than Ochai... I think. In an offense where there is more ball movement and offball action I think he could show a bit more.

For us getting JC completely off the books for next year allows you to do some things.

On a playoff-bound team? Nah. Hendricks has been strictly a garbage time player this season. He's not gonna play when he going gets even tougher.

Lauri has played less minutes this season, he can easily handle a bump, with Yurt7 handling the rest.

I don't think well trade Kelly though, and we shouldn't.
There would be 10 minutes or so that would need to be filled by a floor spacer. Collins and Kessler may have to overlap a bit more but I'd be shocked if Taylor didn't get 5-10 minutes if KO was moved.

JC+Ochai+FRP for Dejounte....I'd be intrigued for sure. Hendricks could take Ochai's minutes. The vibes are great, but I don't think we should drink our own koolaid too much.
3 teamer where we loop in NY. JC to NY... Grimes and Ochai to Atlanta and a pick... Fournier goes to atlanta to give salary relief.

I like it, although I think NYK would want DJ for themselves.
Yes and no... once they add OG at 40M a year... brunson gets a bump... Randle may get a bump... they gonna have issues fitting in salary and in that case they need to supply a pick better than the one we would and those picks are their "star" trade assets.

JC at $10M less next couple years helps them balance the cap but maybe they see Murray as the star trade asset. Katz did not mention Murray and there has been consistent grumbling that the next deal will be a smaller one. The new cba has to be considered as if you are over the second apron you can't aggregate salaries in a trade.

Everything that the Knicks are reportedly wanting in a trade points to someone like Clarkson.
Here is the quote from the article:

After the Anunoby trade, Grimes is the sole young player the Knicks could throw into a deadline deal. Thus, if they traded Grimes, they would want someone on a contract they consider tradeable in return, a player with a salary preferably in the teens or low $20 million that would be attractive to a franchise dealing away a star in June or July, according to league sources.

The Knicks could pair Evan Fournier — who is on an expiring, $18.9 million contract — with Grimes to bring back a contract of that size.

Some players who fit that description include (in no particular order): the Portland Trail Blazers’ Malcolm Brogdon, the Utah Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson and Collin Sexton, the Charlotte Hornets’ Terry Rozier, the Indiana Pacers’ Bruce Brown and T.J. McConnell, the Atlanta Hawks’ Bogdan Bogdanović, the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Caris LeVert and the Dallas Mavericks’ Tim Hardaway Jr.

Next year most of those guys make more than JC. Some substantially more. McConnell isnt really gonna create but might work. Brown is expiring.

Malcolm should be the preferred target but injuries and a higher one year salary... plus not sure Blazers are super motivated to get Grimes. They should be but maybe they have picks they can get elsewhere.

One more quote from Katz

New York has been unwilling to part with unprotected first-round picks in trades, league sources said. The organization hopes to save them up for this anonymous star. But a trade such as last year’s for Josh Hart, when the Knicks sent out a protected first-rounder along with a matching salary, is on the table, league sources said.

They own four protected first-rounders from other teams: the Detroit Pistons’ pick in 2024, the Dallas Mavericks’ in 2024, the Washington Wizards’ in 2024 and the Milwaukee Bucks’ in 2025. The Dallas one is likely to convey this season.