What's new

Reverse Pet Peeves

When someone gives you an unexpected compliment.

I was in a room with several people on Tuesday and one of them said something nice about me out of the blue. It wasn't directed at me, but I'm sure he knew I could hear. Made me smile for the whole day.

I try to do this randomly with members of my management team in public moments. You get to see them brighten up and it really boosts morale.

I try to do this randomly with members of my management team in public moments. You get to see them brighten up and it really boosts morale.

I use implied compliments to female cashiers who are obviously older than me when they ID me buying beer. I put a dumb look on my face and say "Really? I'm older than you". I can tell it brightens their day every single time. Immediate body language, facial expression, and social interaction adjustment.

Next time you have a female cashier who is in their early 30's say something like "Hey, I was going to grab some beer but wasn't sure if you are old enough to sell it". You'll get a Pavlov's Dogs reaction every time.

When someone gives you an unexpected compliment.

I was in a room with several people on Tuesday and one of them said something nice about me out of the blue. It wasn't directed at me, but I'm sure he knew I could hear. Made me smile for the whole day.

I do the opposite, I like to say horrible things about people when i know they can hear me, really brings family gatherings together.

I try to do that randomly in my day to day activities.
This morning I stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and gave a complement to the drive through window dude.

I try to do that randomly in my day to day activities.
This morning I stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and gave a complement to the drive through window dude.

I always try to compliment food service workers. They are underappreciated as far as I am concerned and when you do you often get perks. I went into a McDonald's recently and they were obviously having some issues. The manager was frantic and the team members all seemed really on edge, and they were way behind. So I chatted up the cashier, talked about how she was doing a great job, how stressful it must be, listened to her complain a bit, thanked her, all that jazz. When I got my bag of food there was an extra big mac and fry inside. I mentioned it to her and she just smiled shyly and said "I am sure that is part of your order". It pays to be nice.

I always try to compliment food service workers. They are underappreciated as far as I am concerned and when you do you often get perks. I went into a McDonald's recently and they were obviously having some issues. The manager was frantic and the team members all seemed really on edge, and they were way behind. So I chatted up the cashier, talked about how she was doing a great job, how stressful it must be, listened to her complain a bit, thanked her, all that jazz. When I got my bag of food there was an extra big mac and fry inside. I mentioned it to her and she just smiled shyly and said "I am sure that is part of your order". It pays to be nice.

On a related note, when at sit down restaurants I try to always thank the people who clear dishes, fill waters, etc., during the meal. They similarly seem underappreciated and probably don't get to share the tips with the regular wait staff (or at least not at a large percentage).

On a related note, when at sit down restaurants I try to always thank the people who clear dishes, fill waters, etc., during the meal. They similarly seem underappreciated and probably don't get to share the tips with the regular wait staff (or at least not at a large percentage).

I say thank you almost every time I get any type of service in a restaurant. But what I've discovered is this is a class signifier. Lower middle-class people say thank you a lot. Management types, upper middle-class and upper class people don't say thank you for service as much, they have more of an expectation of service and being served and it's basically just background noise in their life. To take note that you had your water filled is an indication that you're not used to having people serve you all the time.

Doesn't stop me since it's just signifying the class I'm actually in.

I say thank you almost every time I get any type of service in a restaurant. But what I've discovered is this is a class signifier. Lower middle-class people say thank you a lot. Management types, upper middle-class and upper class people don't say thank you for service as much, they have more of an expectation of service and being served and it's basically just background noise in their life. To take note that you had your water filled is an indication that you're not used to having people serve you all the time.

Doesn't stop me since it's just signifying the class I'm actually in.

I've worked at multiple "restaurants" and completely disagree.

I've worked at multiple "restaurants" and completely disagree.

To be clear, I'm not talking about saying "thank you" or showing appreciation at all. I'm talking about the tendency to over-thank. How many times should a person tell their waiter "thank you" over the course of a meal? Is three times enough? Yeah, probably. Is 18 times necessary? Probably not.

I probably tell any given waiter "thank you" at least a dozen times. It's most likely too much. It's almost like a nervous habit. It probably takes away from the sincerity and meaning of it.

I'm not sayin upper middle class people act like entitled jerks and treat wait staff like lowly servants to establish their superiority over them.

And I may not have the best understanding of the dividing line between low, lower-middle, upper-middle and upper classes.

I want to buy this mug and put a note on it saying "For the use of any okay employee, just make sure it's rinsed out before and after use" and leave it in the break room.

41VI1YVzu7L.jpg

People who get freaked out by a mouse in the house. So much comedic value there.

Today my 3 year old, who I call ISIS, saw my wife and two older boys screaming bloody murder over a mouse two days ago. Little dude stands back, observing, and decides to ISIS use it.

Dead mouse in a trap this morning and I get 5 texts in about 2 seconds "dad" "dad" "dad" "dad" "help meeeeeeee".

Me: What

Son: Look at the picture there's a dead mouse [in a trap]. Help me get rid of it.

Me: Scoop the trap up with two pieces of cardboard from the garage and throw it out. Have your brother help you with the doors and the lid.

And then this comes across:

Son: OK, mom's going to do it because *my 3 year old ISIS* says he's going to eat it (picture him saying this with an angry face and his demonic sounding voice tone).

Then they are still freaked out and the next text I get is that after my son reading the text aloud, ISIS says "okay, I'll do it".

What 3 year old does stuff like this just to screw with people?

People who get freaked out by a mouse in the house. So much comedic value there.

Today my 3 year old, who I call ISIS, saw my wife and two older boys screaming bloody murder over a mouse two days ago. Little dude stands back, observing, and decides to ISIS use it.

Dead mouse in a trap this morning and I get 5 texts in about 2 seconds "dad" "dad" "dad" "dad" "help meeeeeeee".

Me: What

Son: Look at the picture there's a dead mouse [in a trap]. Help me get rid of it.

Me: Scoop the trap up with two pieces of cardboard from the garage and throw it out. Have your brother help you with the doors and the lid.

And then this comes across:

Son: OK, mom's going to do it because *my 3 year old ISIS* says he's going to eat it (picture him saying this with an angry face and his demonic sounding voice tone).

Then they are still freaked out and the next text I get is that after my son reading the text aloud, ISIS says "okay, I'll do it".

What 3 year old does stuff like this just to screw with people?

Is his real name Damien?

Hmmm. I had to look up the origin of the name and from Greek it's nowhere close. So I'm going with Little John from Netflix' Salem. Such a great character BTW.

Did you never see The Omen?

When you have someone on ignore and they can't help but follow you around every chance they get to neg you. Gawd, I love knowing how I wreck their day and give don't give two ****s to read their worthless posts. Keep following me, puppy. You know who you are.

Being able to make my car honk via remote from across the parking lot, so i can find the darn thing.