What's new

Stephen Jackson calls out Utah fans now.

You can use them, but then in turn people can think of you saying them as they please. It’s a difference in how you feel about somethingand how the person on the receiving end feels about it. I’ll side with the person on the receiving end.

It’s comments like this that are too much. Laying off dumb terms that don’t fully mean to you what they mean to someone else is not that big of deal.

I'm not advocating for the use of terminology that could be seen as conflictive or hurtful, what I'm pointing is the cynicism of people who promotes a thoughtful use of the language while at the same time throwing accusations of racism like it's nothing. Cy accusing 7Straight of being "probably a racist" for a single post is uncalled for, crass and should not be encouraged.

He and Crybrook both need to shut up. If me and every other Utahn can deal with endless comments about every Utahn being a Mormon Caucasian polygamist among other things then they can handle a few random fans hurting their feelings. They are big boys.

He and Crybrook both need to shut up. If me and every other Utahn can deal with endless comments about every Utahn being a Mormon Caucasian polygamist among other things then they can handle a few random fans hurting their feelings. They are big boys.
Two wrongs aren’t a right. I truly don’t understand why we have to make excuses instead of saying way that’s wrong, and we should do what we can to correct it. A sports arena does not give you the right to be a low life piece of ****. Period. And on top of it, have players on our team hear them whether in the arena or through other players experiences while playing here. Is absolutly asinine, stupid, and wrong.

Two wrongs aren’t a right. I truly don’t understand why we have to make excuses instead of saying way that’s wrong, and we should do what we can to correct it. A sports arena does not give you the right to be a low life piece of ****. Period. And on top of it, have players on our team hear them whether in the arena or through other players experiences while playing here. Is absolutly asinine, stupid, and wrong.

I didn't say two wrongs make a right. And I wasn't making excuses. Personally, I have never acted like that at a game. What I'm saying is that there will always be either drunk or downright idiotic fans acting like ********. And it doesn't just happen in Utah. It happens in every arena around the country, on social media, everywhere. It's childish for these grown men to call out one specific fanbase. And even more childish to lump the entire fanbase into a group when anything that was said probably came from a handful of knuckleheads.

I don't think this is a race issue. It is a hate issue however. Jazz have very "good" fans and fan base. By good, we support our team at a very high level and we believe 'good' fans do a 'good job' at hating the other team. And some of the style of "support" is very aggressive and in my mind hateful. I'll call it high-grade taunting. The whole UofU vs BYU thing puts a significant level of hate into the rivalry and into the fandom on both sides. The hatred shared back and forth there is not about being racist. But there is high-level taunting by two groups that don't like each other. And thus the state of Utah has a high tolerance for, and a lot of practice a this high-level taunting.

I've been to a lot of Jazz games as well as a lot UofU and BYU events and I feel the behavior is pretty much the same on high-level taunting. One example I'm familiar with that is not racist per se, but was high-grade taunt, I watched from 4th row close to GSW bench, a fan take on Kevin Durrant. It was very mean spirited about him being not man-enough or not having the leadership to take his own team to a championship. Which at some level is a fair game topic. However, it went on for enough time and was harsh enought that Durrant started talking back and so the fan was told to back down by security. I don't remember any sort of reference to race or use of 'the latest words of the day' which indicate racism. It was simply hate filled taunting about Kevin's manhood and what a wuss he is.

Now if you are familiar with hate speech used at you with respect to RACE, you probably just assume this sort of high-grade taunt is racist in intent. That is why I think many on this forum are saying "I don't think Utah is racist - I've just not heard it and there have been so little evidence of it recorded." I think that statement is true. However, I think Utah is a 10 on a scale of 10 for being high-grade taunters from all the practice. And I think a lot of other NBA cities are just not even close in this regard. LA Laker fans in the lower bowl don't even show up usually (so the saying goes). Atlanta fans don't cheer... etc. And probably in many cities where the race issue is more raw, the idea of taunting, let alone high grade taunting, isn't as prevalent/aggressive.

We have a lot of African Americans on our team, so our racism has limitations? I’m sorry I just don’t think that’s how racism works. Our fans might be a little rowdy, but throwing racism into it is a stretch IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, a few things:

-I think Elfrid Payton’s hair is ridiculous and I would take every chance I had to taunt him about it during a game if given the opportunity. Does that make me a racist? Because honestly, I don’t really know anymore. For a frame of reference, I think The Bird Man has always had really stupid hair do’s and would also taunt him if given the chance. It seems like nowadays, a white guy cant tease a black guy about a REALLY stupid hair do without somebody inferring racism. Which is really sad/stupid

-Considering the fact that a team from New Orleans was plopped right down in the middle of a community made up almost entirely of white, staunchly religious, conservatives, The Fan-Player relationship has never really seemed to be a problem, and IMO has even managed to make strides making it better year after year. For Utah being as white as it is, you haven’t seen some of the ugly situations where black players come under fire from their white fans. Towns like Boston and Philly have had some pretty ugly moments in that regards.

-In the age of iPhones, social media, and instant EVERYTHING, please show us something when you decide to deride an entire fan base of being racist. If it’s going on at the level that Jackson and Westbrook are saying, that ***** on video somewhere. Let’s get it out there and actually get some merit behind your ugly accusations.

I was involved in a chant at a rockets game years ago when Louis scola was on the court and we were chanting “Scola’s greasy”. I wonder if that was racist.

Using the term “thug” for guys who aren’t really thugs is a pretty bad look to. A dirty player does not equate to a thug.
How do you know he wasn’t a thug? Is it thug like to run into the crowd and beat the **** out of a nerdy white fan?

If someone was making racist or over the top family references, they should be banned.
How do you know he wasn’t a thug? Is it thug like to run into the crowd and beat the **** out of a nerdy white fan?

Stephen Jackson would definitely be on the 1st team all-time NBA idiot roster.

You are aware players cant pop out their iphone in the middle of the game, right?

Can fans use phones during the game? Can paid cameramen use their high quality video cameras during the game? His point was that everything is on camera nowadays yet none of these particular instances are.

. What's the general response here? Being offended that Utah is being attacked.

I think some us don’t like being generalized and given a bad name that we didn’t earn.
Kinda ironic really. It’s totally fine for these players to generalize a whole state of people.

Just look at how the word "thug" has been used in the news over the last several years man. It's clearly a racially charged word now.

Language evolves and changes. If you are that upset you cant use the word "thug" without evoking negative feelings from people because of the way the word has evolved, then tough ******* man.

And your perfectly welcome to not give a **** about how people feel about you saying it, but dont turn around and cry about how people feel about you using it.

I see the word thug used for white people more than anyone.
Go to you tube and search thug life videos and get back to me on what you see.

I really have no idea why everyone is so quick to defend against the thought that there is probably some racist people in a sample size of 18,000+ fans on any given game night. Odds say they are definitely in there. And out of those select people, there are probalby some who have a few too many one night and let something slip. Not everyone is waiting by them with an iphone ready to expose them, especially when doing so wouldnt reflect on them well as a Utah Jazz fan.

With the Westbrook thing it actually is on video though. We actually know that the security guard knows what was said and we know that fans get kicked out for saying racist things.

Look, what happened here is a fan said “how are your ankles” to Westbrook. Another fan filmed him with his phone. Are either of those things racist? Imo the answer is no (though maybe talking about a black persons ankles is in fact racist in many peoples eyes). Then based off those incidents Westbrook claims that Utah fans are racist.

Wonder why any of us would have a problem with that.

I don't think this is a race issue. It is a hate issue however. Jazz have very "good" fans and fan base. By good, we support our team at a very high level and we believe 'good' fans do a 'good job' at hating the other team. And some of the style of "support" is very aggressive and in my mind hateful. I'll call it high-grade taunting. The whole UofU vs BYU thing puts a significant level of hate into the rivalry and into the fandom on both sides. The hatred shared back and forth there is not about being racist. But there is high-level taunting by two groups that don't like each other. And thus the state of Utah has a high tolerance for, and a lot of practice a this high-level taunting.

I've been to a lot of Jazz games as well as a lot UofU and BYU events and I feel the behavior is pretty much the same on high-level taunting. One example I'm familiar with that is not racist per se, but was high-grade taunt, I watched from 4th row close to GSW bench, a fan take on Kevin Durrant. It was very mean spirited about him being not man-enough or not having the leadership to take his own team to a championship. Which at some level is a fair game topic. However, it went on for enough time and was harsh enought that Durrant started talking back and so the fan was told to back down by security. I don't remember any sort of reference to race or use of 'the latest words of the day' which indicate racism. It was simply hate filled taunting about Kevin's manhood and what a wuss he is.

Now if you are familiar with hate speech used at you with respect to RACE, you probably just assume this sort of high-grade taunt is racist in intent. That is why I think many on this forum are saying "I don't think Utah is racist - I've just not heard it and there have been so little evidence of it recorded." I think that statement is true. However, I think Utah is a 10 on a scale of 10 for being high-grade taunters from all the practice. And I think a lot of other NBA cities are just not even close in this regard. LA Laker fans in the lower bowl don't even show up usually (so the saying goes). Atlanta fans don't cheer... etc. And probably in many cities where the race issue is more raw, the idea of taunting, let alone high grade taunting, isn't as prevalent/aggressive.

There's some truth to this. There's a level of nastiness to the U v Y thing that's uncommon outside of the SEC. Some of the fans carry that over to the Jazz games.

It's a real stretch to say this is racism. I can't think of someone more ill-suited to comment on fans' bad behavior. What, Ron Artest wasn't available.

thug
[thuhg]
noun
1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

Yeah, I have no problem using this word to described Westbrook for his style of play in game 4. And I don't give a damn what some SJW has to say about my use of the term.

This is the next Me Too movement all these guys gonna come out and say Utah fans are mean racists.

What if it's just one black guy yelling the n-word constantly but no one can see him because its like trying to find a needle in the haystack?

Except that dude is sitting next to people. Unless he is some sort of master level ventriloquist. I call bunk on this. Remember that NC player that accused Britton Johnson of dropping racial slurs on him? It was a lie he made up because a backwater white dude kicked his ***. Britton suffered for it. The guy making it up didn't.