What's new

Teodosic supposedly on his way

Maybe we traded up in the draft to get a good young player and didn't put together a package to bring in win now help because DL knows Hayward is leaving.

No, I highly doubt that.

I think Mitchell is just a move that covers all bases. He can replace Exum if we don't re-sign Exum next year, he can replace Hood if we don't re-sign Hood next year, if Hayward leaves it means we have some beacon of optimism for a player developing into a star, and he was BPA and Trey Lyles kind of blew.

Can he sign a deal before July 1st? Jazz have cap room and a roster spot with Lyles gone if that's the way it works. Could a signing bonus put part of his contract into the 2016/17 season?

I actually think he can. I remember hearing someone (Tony Jones, I think?) say that the Jazz have $$$ to spend before July first. If they don't they lose it and if they do, then it plays into 2016/2017 cap. I think July 1 is the cutoff. So, if we can actually sign him with 2016 money then this move makes tons of sense. Colton says that he has to play a game in the season, but Tony Jones (again, I think it was Tony Jones' podcast) said that he didn't.

I totally disagree with people saying that we might get Hill AND Milos. I think there is NO chance we would spend that kind of money pgs. I think Milos is only signed if we DON'T resign Hill and go with a lesser pg.

Has Teodosic ever played a 75 game NBA season? I dont think so. European leagues play what, twice a week?
ok... so say he plays 55 games, which could feasibly happen with Hill as well... I'd rather pay my injury prone PG $8M than $23M

I actually think he can. I remember hearing someone (Tony Jones, I think?) say that the Jazz have $$$ to spend before July first. If they don't they lose it and if they do, then it plays into 2016/2017 cap. I think July 1 is the cutoff. So, if we can actually sign him with 2016 money then this move makes tons of sense. Colton says that he has to play a game in the season, but Tony Jones (again, I think it was Tony Jones' podcast) said that he didn't.

We investigated this pretty thoroughly a few weeks ago* and Andy Larsen came through with the definitive answer that it's not possible.

But they can (and probably will) still use the 2016-2017 cap space money in a trade.

*sorry, can't find the thread. I went over the Larry Coon Salary Cap FAQ and it was ambiguous, so if I recall correctly someone sent a tweet to Andy Larsen and he looked into it.

I'm okay with picking up Teodosic to play major minutes at PG. The fact that the Jazz got Mitchell and that Exum is making progress may make this more viable. These are lottery picks that need playing time during the next couple of years. The Jazz, I think, want to retain Joe Ingles and are probably eyeing another move in free agency. Saving money at the PG spot will help that. George Hill is a better player in the short term, and in a vaccuum it would be great to bring him back. Longer term, paying Hill complicates retaining Exum and may take minutes away from Mitchell, whom I believe will be a better player than Hill within a year or two. Hill didn't appear to be the kind of defender he was reputed to be, and the fact that Hill is over 30 and missed 33 games last year (including the Warriors series) seems like the final straw. I think the Jazz are leaving the door open a crack for Hill, basically as a back-up plan, but I'm not confident they really want him back.

What the hell is going on here!!? We destroy guys like this for not playing defense, and to here experts talk about his lack of defense, it sounds like he'd instantly be worse then Kanter, and if u idiots think he's going to be a star, you've got another thing coming. To me it sounds like if we sign him There's a good chance Hill doesn't want back pushing Hayward out the door. The dude that said this guy makes Stockton look pedestrian can kiss my ***!!!

There is a difference between a guard lacking D and a center lacking D.

Center is the last resort under the rim and must be good at D. A guard can act like a scarecrow and he still can be considered a superstar.

What the hell is going on here!!? We destroy guys like this for not playing defense, and to here experts talk about his lack of defense, it sounds like he'd instantly be worse then Kanter, and if u idiots think he's going to be a star, you've got another thing coming. To me it sounds like if we sign him There's a good chance Hill doesn't want back pushing Hayward out the door. The dude that said this guy makes Stockton look pedestrian can kiss my ***!!!

<smooch!>

I totally disagree with people saying that we might get Hill AND Milos. I think there is NO chance we would spend that kind of money pgs. I think Milos is only signed if we DON'T resign Hill and go with a lesser pg.

Oh, there is no way we get both.

I disagree about westbrook and wiggins.

You're certainly entitled to, but the numbers don't lie. They have some of the worst defensive stats in the league, basically if they are guarding you - that's your chance to go off.

I think the Jazz could trade for Beverly and sign Teodosic. Milos and Exum can both play enough at the 2 to make it totally work. At the same time, by splitting George Hill's salary between two good point guards - you have injury insurance.

I don't get it. The guy blows on d and will cost 8M a year. Signing him could not only turn Hill off from re-signing here but in turn cost us Hayward since he and Hill seem to be so tightly tied at the hip. And we're considering signing this 30 year old, ****ty defender just days after Lindsey basically raved about 21 year old Exum and the progress he's made. So Exum would be either the 3rd point guard or 2nd or 3rd shooting guard.

I don't get it. Well, I do, but it simply doesn't make sense to me in the construct of the team-building we've done to this point and how that should continue moving forward, with all assets, player contracts, and the rumored future salary cap considered.

DL is NOT going into next season without acquiring a veteran point guard to start for Quinn. I'm sure he would prefer to re-sign Hill, but not at $25 million/year. Milo would be a steal at $8 million/year. As for a ****ty defender, how much did we pay Diaw for his no-defense, no-rebound play, just so we could make use of his assists on offense?

DL is NOT going into next season without acquiring a veteran point guard to start for Quinn. I'm sure he would prefer to re-sign Hill, but not at $25 million/year. Milo would be a steal at $8 million/year. As for a ****ty defender, how much did we pay Diaw for his no-defense, no-rebound play, just so we could make use of his assists on offense?

Yup, people conveniently forget we played Diaw a good amount of rotation minutes, even at center, despite him being a terrible defender and possibly the worst rebounding big man in the NBA. And guess what? We figured out how to hide him because we have Rudy Mother****ing Gobert.

I like Hill very much and he has a great blend of shooting, passing, defense etc.
But Jazz seems resolved to let him go if he is asking too much.
If so I'm leaning toward Teo of all the PGs available.
Been watching videos of him
He has Magic/Stockton passing skills and he has Steph Curry shooting skills
Every team nowadays can't have enough shooters and passers and he is spectacular
Cavs and Warriors were scoring 120 plus against each other
Even though Warriors and maybe Cavs are elite defensive teams
I would love to see what Teo can do in the NBA

Won't Teo and Bev combined cost as much as Hill may want
Not sure Jazz could get both

No Teo's will get somewhere in between 6-10... Bev is super cheap.

I would cost 13 million if the rumored MLE is acceptable for him. If you add Exum and Neto our PGs would cost a combined 19 million.

I would cost 13 million if the rumored MLE is acceptable for him. If you add Exum and Neto our PGs would cost a combined 19 million.

The dollars are fine there, just not sure on the minutes... Milos and Bev can likely both play both guard positions but we also have Hood, Exum, Mitchell that need rotation minutes and I don't know how much I want any of them playing the 3.

I think we get one of Hill, milos, Bev, Rubio, D Will, not multiple guys.