What's new

Would you trade ...

I wouldn't have traded Thabo before the injury. So in other words, he wasn't a trade asset in my mind.

Now that he is out for the year, his $5 million expiring contract is a very nice trade chip. Think about it, we now have Favors ($12 expiring), JoeJ ($10 expiring) and Thabo ($5 expiring). Half of the teams in the NBA are in the luxury tax for the 2018-19 season. We have close to $30 million in expirings. We could go into asset accumulation.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I wouldn't have traded Thabo before the injury. So in other words, he wasn't a trade asset in my mind.

Now that he is out for the year, his $5 million expiring contract is a very nice trade chip. Think about it, we now have Favors ($12 expiring), JoeJ ($10 expiring) and Thabo ($5 expiring). Half of the teams in the NBA are in the luxury tax for the 2018-19 season. We have close to $30 million in expirings. We could go into asset accumulation.

I think you’d be disappointed in what a team would give to clear $5M in salary. I don’t think we could even get a protected pick for $10+ expirings of JJ and Favors.

Wondering how the trade deadline and FA is going to shake out. Lots of rumors out there with beat writers, etc.

I think you’d be disappointed in what a team would give to clear $5M in salary. I don’t think we could even get a protected pick for $10+ expirings of JJ and Favors.

I think Thabo's expiring now comes into play for a trade like:
Thabo, Burks and a 2nd
for
Belinelli, Ilyasova and Muscala

We get two players in Belinelli and Ilyasova who help us win now. Muscala makes $6.5 less than Burks next year so we actually save a little money.

Atlanta gets the 2nd rounder they want for Belinelli and Ilyasova. Burks might actually help them once he gets more consistent playing time. He's a minor gamble worth taking if you're Atlanta.

After that trade, we still have Favors and JoeJ to use to acquire more assets.

I think Thabo's expiring now comes into play for a trade like:
Thabo, Burks and a 2nd
for
Belinelli, Ilyasova and Muscala

We get two players in Belinelli and Ilyasova who help us win now. Muscala makes $6.5 less than Burks next year so we actually save a little money.

Atlanta gets the 2nd rounder they want for Belinelli and Ilyasova. Burks might actually help them once he gets more consistent playing time. He's a minor gamble worth taking if you're Atlanta.

After that trade, we still have Favors and JoeJ to use to acquire more assets.
You could easily swap Jerebko into that deal and keep the more valuable player (Thabo) on the roster for next year.

You could easily swap Jerebko into that deal and keep the more valuable player (Thabo) on the roster for next year.

Thabo is having knee surgery and the outlook for his recovery is at least 6 months. If we traded him to a team, that team has to make a decision on his $5.5 million for 2018-19 by July 1. I would be shocked if a team traded for him and kept him. A team would be trading for his expiring contract. If his contract is not picked up (as I predict), he becomes an unrestricted free agent. At that time, we look to sign him.

Thabo is having knee surgery and the outlook for his recovery is at least 6 months. If we traded him to a team, that team has to make a decision on his $5.5 million for 2018-19 by July 1. I would be shocked if a team traded for him and kept him. A team would be trading for his expiring contract. If his contract is not picked up (as I predict), he becomes an unrestricted free agent. At that time, we look to sign him.
I think they have rules that a team can’t sign a guy they traded away for up to a year. We’d be out of it unless he gets traded somewhere else first, or is signed and then cut. I’d rather just have Thabo for $5.3 on the roster for the rest of this year and all of next season.

I think they have rules that a team can’t sign a guy they traded away for up to a year. We’d be out of it unless he gets traded somewhere else first, or is signed and then cut. I’d rather just have Thabo for $5.3 on the roster for the rest of this year and all of next season.

I'm not sure of the exact re-acquire rules. I thought it only pertained to that season.

I like Thabo a lot. I think he's been great for us, but I would not hesitate to use him in a deal if the deal was worth it.

Would the Grizzlies do a straight up swap of Green and Burks? (Grizzliles would probably have to throw in another contract to make it work financially, but they have a ton of small money expiring deals)

Also, Tyreke Evans.

Do the Grizzlies want to trade him? What do they want? He might be more interesting than Mirotic for the Jazz. He isn't a PF, but he is someone who can score.

Ok, here is my Lopo trade for Tyreke Evans.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8m3glp8

Jazz trade Rubio and Burks! Yes, that is how you know this trade is impossible.

Suns get a PG: This way if they get a top 3 pick, they won't be tempted to take Trae Young. They can just go Ayton and keep him in Arizona. Rubio comes at a pretty cheap price to, as all they give up is Ulis. They also get out of Dudley's contract. (I think I will have them throw in a 2nd rounder to Memphis, this deal just seems to low price for them. They own a boatload of them, early 2nd round ones too)

Grizzlies get.... stuff?: Yeah, this is where it might be a bad trade. Grizzlies get Ulis. He sucks, so I don't know why they want him, but he is a PG and Conley is out for the year. They also get Burks. Most of us kind of dump on Burks, but his stats are actually solid (PER of 15). Maybe on a bad Memphis team he could put up some numbers in a starting role. The Grizzlies won't have any cap-room to sign impact free agents next year, so Burks is a way of guaranteeing they have a talent at the 2-guard to replace Evans (who I would assume would leave Memphis even if they kept him). Like I said though, I would also have the Suns throw in a good 2nd round pick (they own Charlotte's and their own)

Jazz get a scorer and off contracts: Evans is a gamble, but he is having a great year. He seems like a player who Quin could possibly unlock? He is shooting the ball great this year. Jazz also get off Rubio and Burks combined 25 million dollars next year (minus the the 10 million owed to Dudley next year, who the Jazz have to take to make the trade work), so they would even have room to re-sign Evans for the future. Jazz can move Mitchell to the point and either start Hood or Evans at the 2.

Woj said the Grizzlies want a first rounder for Evans, but that seems even more unlikely than Mirotic securing a first rounder. Evans to the Pistons probably makes the most sense though. They could do a straight up Stanley Johnson for Tyreke Evans swap.

No Cy, just no. There is no basis for this trade. My trades might seem far fetched, but there is logic to them. Memphis is not taking Burks' contract for a 2nd rounder when Tyreke can get them a 2nd rounder by himself to a contender with a trade exception.

Don't call it a LoPo trade when it is unrealistic, illogical and downright not possible.

Trade restrictions have now been lifted for the following: Cristiano Felicio, Nikola Mirotic, Kyle Korver, Mason Plumlee, Shaun Livingston, Andre Iguodala, Blake Griffin, JaMychal Green, Tony Snell, Jrue Holiday, Andre Roberson, Patty Mills, Serge Ibaka, Kyle Lowry, Joe Ingles and Otto Porter. Mirotic must consent to any trade and would lose his bird rights if traded. Porter must consent and cannot be traded to Brooklyn.

No Cy, just no. There is no basis for this trade. My trades might seem far fetched, but there is logic to them. Memphis is not taking Burks' contract for a 2nd rounder when Tyreke can get them a 2nd rounder by himself to a contender with a trade exception.

Don't call it a LoPo trade when it is unrealistic, illogical and downright not possible.

That is what a Lopo trade is.

Fournier expected to be shopped. Not sure what they want but I think his contract is pretty cost-controlled. Uncertain of fit (not doubting just don’t really know) unless he plays poor man’s Hayward role.

Fournier expected to be shopped. Not sure what they want but I think his contract is pretty cost-controlled. Uncertain of fit (not doubting just don’t really know) unless he plays poor man’s Hayward role.
They'd want (and probably get) a first round pick lottery protected and expiring contracts. Can't really see anyone giving up more than that. Maybe a moderately talented rookie contract player alos.

From Marc Stein - "Rival executives expect Jeff Weltman, Orlando’s new team president, to aggressively hunt for new homes for the likes of Evan Fournier, Elfrid Payton and Mario Hezonja, given that Nikola Vucevic’s broken finger is likely to preclude dealing the center."

At the deadline, Herzonja for Thabo and a future 2nd? Orlando would see it as an expiring and a 2nd for a player who is just going to walk.