What's new

Would you trade ...

If we want Parker the Jazz should trade for him. If not the Bucks seem to really like him and will match any offer. The Jazz should not gut their roster to try and sign a guy that will be matched. Sef, Jerebko and Udoh all have some value. Especially if we keep Sef and he gets back to playing like he was this year. Udoh has been great, I think a lot of teams would like him, especially with his contract.

Then we should look to trade them as well. Our focus should be on adding long-term assets. Role-players & depth shouldn't be prioritized until the core has been established.

As for Parker, I agree we should trade for him if the price is reasonable. But I wouldn't include Hood, which I imagine it would require, if someone is offering a mid 1st for him. But we should at least put ourselves in position to offer him the max.

I'm all for this approach. If we can get a Gordon or Jabari, great. If we can't, then we have options. I would just add Burks to that list instead of letting Jerekbo, Udoh and Thabo all go. Burks is absolutely wasting his time and our cap space right now. He's not as bad as Quin is making him look.

I agree Burks, as well as Rubio, should be traded if possible but with 1 more year left on their deals, I wouldn't include assets to do so. Which I assume it would require if we're looking to dump their salary.

Gutting our team and missing out on signing one of those guys to take back a bad contract to get a late 1st round pick seems like a pretty silly way to try and rebuild. I would rather use our resources to get a lottery pick or better yet trade for a good player that fits, like Mirotic. Hood is worth more than a late 1st. I would rather try to keep him on a good deal that hope to get extremely lucky and draft a guy that is as good as him.

How many good teams in the NBA did it with acquiring a bunch of late 1st round picks for bad contracts?

Gutting our team? Let's look at it:

- Burks doesn't even get in every game. Losing him is not subtracting much whether its now or next season.
- Losing Favors will hurt because of his current form, but we have played a ton of game with him out injured the last 3 years. And with Gobert back, his minutes dwindle quickly. And if we don't trade him, he's gone anyway.
- Joe Johnson is gone after this year. I see no incentive by either side to bring him back for next season.

So this all comes down to Hood. Are we gutting our team if we trade Hood considering the other guys are out anyway? I don't think so. I like Rodney, but we only have him 75% of the time due to injuries. If we lose him, yes it hurts but I don't think we gut the roster by just losing him.

Then we should look to trade them as well. Our focus should be on add

ing long-term assets. Role-players & depth shouldn't be prioritized until the core has been established.

As for Parker, I agree we should trade for him if the price is reasonable. But I wouldn't include Hood, which I imagine it would require, if someone is offering a mid 1st for him. But we should at least put ourselves in position to offer him the max.

I agree with that. I view late 1st as potential role players in 4+ years. So that should be a low priority. I definitely think we should try and trade for players that are a good fit with potential like Parker. Or are a good fit and a very good player like Mirotic, who is playing at an all-star level right now. I would also be okay with trading for a young player that the Jazz believe could break out and has good potential.

I would defintely trade Hood for Parker if that is the asking price rather than trying to trade Hood for a 1st round pick.

2019 off season we might have better luck in free agency. The Jazz are setting themselves up to have room then, when there is a chance we could get a good player. Besides that get a good player now if you have the chance.

Gutting our team? Let's look at it:

- Burks doesn't even get in every game. Losing him is not subtracting much whether its now or next season.
- Losing Favors will hurt because of his current form, but we have played a ton of game with him out injured the last 3 years. And with Gobert back, his minutes dwindle quickly. And if we don't trade him, he's gone anyway.
- Joe Johnson is gone after this year. I see no incentive by either side to bring him back for next season.

So this all comes down to Hood. Are we gutting our team if we trade Hood considering the other guys are out anyway? I don't think so. I like Rodney, but we only have him 75% of the time due to injuries. If we lose him, yes it hurts but I don't think we gut the roster by just losing him.

Yeah, we just view late 1st different. Most of those players dont make it in the NBA and if they do its as a role player in a few years. You seem to really value cap space and late 1st round picks a lot. I dont, I value good players.

If you have an asset like Hood trade him for someone that can make a difference. Or hold on to him and hope he gets healthy. He is what many teams desperately need on the wing, a good tall three point shooter. Dumping him for a late 1st is better than nothing if you think he will get signed for too much but barely.

I agree with that. I view late 1st as potential role players in 4+ years. So that should be a low priority. I definitely think we should try and trade for players that are a good fit with potential like Parker. Or are a good fit and a very good player like Mirotic, who is playing at an all-star level right now. I would also be okay with trading for a young player that the Jazz believe could break out and has good potential.

I would defintely trade Hood for Parker if that is the asking price rather than trying to trade Hood for a 1st round pick.

2019 off season we might have better luck in free agency. The Jazz are setting themselves up to have room then, when there is a chance we could get a good player. Besides that get a good player now if you have the chance.

Parker would require a max contract & has injury concerns. It's a worthwhile risk, which is why I would offer him a max contract in FA, but I wouldn't also pass on a 1st (assuming it's not a late 1st) in order to do so.

Yeah, we just view late 1st different. Most of those players dont make it in the NBA and if they do its as a role player in a few years. You seem to really value cap space and late 1st round picks a lot. I dont, I value good players.

If you have an asset like Hood trade him for someone that can make a difference. Or hold on to him and hope he gets healthy. He is what many teams desperately need on the wing, a good tall three point shooter. Dumping him for a late 1st is better than nothing if you think he will get signed for too much but barely.

I agree with you, but we would only be shopping Hood publicly if that means he does not fit the long term narrative for our team.

As for what I value, I value what helps the team. I would sacrifice our cap space if it meant getting a player worth it. Remember, I'm on record saying we should trade all our expirings for Deng, Clarkson and Kuzma. I think we should get more than a late first for Hood, but dumping Burks is an asset whether people want to acknowledge that or not. Cap space and the Houston pick could turn into a better pick if we use that cap space to take a bad contract.

Last edited:
Portland reportedly interested in DJ. Unlikely they could get him with what they would have to offer. Here's a consolation prize:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydg3oy2c

Favors

Ed Davis
Aminu
First round pick

If we can get them out of luxury hell (they are currently $2.9 million over), then it could be worth it to Portland. This works:

Favors for Ed Davis, Aminu and Connaughton works financially and gets them out of the luxury territory. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd6r84tg

Is that all worth it to them to give up their first? Also, those 3 players combine to play 68 minutes per game when they do play. So they are going to have to rely on others to get the minutes they need. They could definitely play Zach Collins more and Favors can get his 30mpg.

This being said, if we want to spend in 2018 free agency, could you see a deal being made with the Pelicans? Something like Hood for Frank Jackson and Tony Allen OR Jameer Nelson (to make salaries match, and they're both expiring) and their first rounder?

This guy on twitter mentioned something similar to Andy Larsen and he said the value is there. I'd recommend checking out the thread on Larsen's twitter. He knows of a few deals the Jazz have on the table, and if he says a deal is decent, it might give some insight as to what the Jazz are looking at.

Oh, lol wrong link.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22184066/kevin-love-target-ire-cleveland-cavaliers-meeting

Turmoil in the Cavs locker room and the ire was pointed at Love this time.

I am curious in general how team discord might play into the trade deadline. It is a whole different dimension then teams tanking or making a playoff push. I the last few days the Cavs and Wiz have both had team meetings that reportedly did not go well. Lillard met with Paul Allen to see where the Blazers are headed. My guess is this kind of thing continues for the next few weeks and might have an impact on who is available and for what price.

The asking price for DeAndre Jordan is pretty ridiculous for a guy who is practically an expiring. What do you think about these reported trades that get Jordan - http://hoopshype.com/2018/01/23/four-potential-trade-packages-for-deandre-jordan/

Final package: Ante Zizic (or Cedi Osman), Tristan Thompson, Nets first-round pick

Final package: Jabari Parker, Malcolm Brogdon, John Henson

Final package: Evan Turner, Shabazz Napier, Jusuf Nurkic, 2018 first-round pick

Final package: Marcin Gortat, Kelly Oubre, Jodie Meeks

I am curious in general how team discord might play into the trade deadline. It is a whole different dimension then teams tanking or making a playoff push. I the last few days the Cavs and Wiz have both had team meetings that reportedly did not go well. Lillard met with Paul Allen to see where the Blazers are headed. My guess is this kind of thing continues for the next few weeks and might have an impact on who is available and for what price.

It's going to be an active deadline, but that first domino needs to drop. Everyone waiting on DeAndre Jordan... then stuff starts to fly is my guess.