What's new

Would you trade ...

How many teams will have room to offer a Max next year? Trading for a young rfa might be a safer bet this year than most. Who will have to to offer Parker a big contract?

It really is much more valuable to have RFA's, especially ones that could fly under the radar like Hood. I think Lakers, Bulls, 76ers, Hawks, and Mavs would have max cap space... not sure if I'm missing any.

I'm fairly certain you can trade for more players than you send. You would have to honor their contracts if you decide to waive them or somebody on the current roster before making them part of your roster. For example for how it would work for the trade I mentioned; we would likely waive 2 of these 3: Delaney, Babbitt and Niang. We would keep Muscala because he is under contract for next season for $5 million. So we would add Muscala, Belinelli and Ilyasova essentially for Burks, Favors and Hood.

Lots of rules to look through here... http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q90

You have to have the roster spots to complete the trade. So you would need to cut two guys if you trade 3 for 5 and have no empty roster spots. Could cut JJ or just leave Favs out and not have some many expirings.

Hood and AB are the two keys in that trade imo.

You have to have the roster spots to complete the trade. So you would need to cut two guys if you trade 3 for 5 and have no empty roster spots. Could cut JJ or just leave Favs out and not have some many expirings.

Hood and AB are the two keys in that trade imo.

So you're saying we couldn't trade 3 for 5 even though 2 of those 5 will be immediately waived?

So you're saying we couldn't trade 3 for 5 even though 2 of those 5 will be immediately waived?
Pretty sure they have to be secured on your roster to complete a trade. You can waive them, but you’ve got to have a spot to receive them first.

Pretty sure they have to be secured on your roster to complete a trade. You can waive them, but you’ve got to have a spot to receive them first.

Okay. So with that being the case, Niang would be waived should we pursue a trade where we take one more back than we send out. And I would hope the NBA would give us a roster exception for Thabo since he is shelved for the season.

Okay. So with that being the case, Niang would be waived should we pursue a trade where we take one more back than we send out. And I would hope the NBA would give us a roster exception for Thabo since he is shelved for the season.
The Tabo thing was a question I had posed earlier if it was just for trade flexibility, otherwise we'd have to waive someone.

The Tabo thing was a question I had posed earlier if it was just for trade flexibility, otherwise we'd have to waive someone.

Logically, we should get a trade exception (an extra roster spot in other words) for Thabo. However, there was a January 15 deadline but I'm not sure when we applied or even if we did apply for the exception. All that stuff just seems too complicated. If you lose a guy for the season, you should gain an extra roster spot. It shouldn't be as hard as they make it.

Niang is a two-way, so I doubt he could count as one.

Trade Hood, Favors, & JJ for the highest 1st available without bringing back long-term salary. This increases our draft position & gives DL an additional shot at drafting another star.

If I'm not mistaken, we can offer Parker a max contract if we decline the options on Seflosha, Jerebko, & Udoh. Parker brings a ton of risk but adding a potential young impact player who (speculatively) wants to be here for solely cap space is an opportunity we can't afford to pass on. Plus, I believe he would come off the books as Mitchell is due for an extension.

Exum
Mitchell
Ingles
Parker
Gobert
+ 2 1sts

2 stars, a great role-player/locker room presence on a reasonable long-term deal, 2 young players with star potential, & 2 1st round picks is about as good of a foundation as a small-market franchise like Utah could hope for.

Pretty sure Jazzfanz is gonna be disappointed unless the Jazz land Jabbari, Evan Fournier, Kemba and Kevin Love.

Trade Hood, Favors, & JJ for the highest 1st available without bringing back long-term salary. This increases our draft position & gives DL an additional shot at drafting another star.

If I'm not mistaken, we can offer Parker a max contract if we decline the options on Seflosha, Jerebko, & Udoh. Parker brings a ton of risk but adding a potential young impact player who (speculatively) wants to be here for solely cap space is an opportunity we can't afford to pass on. Plus, I believe he would come off the books as Mitchell is due for an extension.

Exum
Mitchell
Ingles
Parker
Gobert
+ 2 1sts

2 stars, a great role-player/locker room presence on a reasonable long-term deal, 2 young players with star potential, & 2 1st round picks is about as good of a foundation as a small-market franchise like Utah could hope for.

If we want Parker the Jazz should trade for him. If not the Bucks seem to really like him and will match any offer. The Jazz should not gut their roster to try and sign a guy that will be matched. Sef, Jerebko and Udoh all have some value. Especially if we keep Sef and he gets back to playing like he was this year. Udoh has been great, I think a lot of teams would like him, especially with his contract.

Exum
Mitchell
Ingles
Parker
Gobert
+ 2 1sts

I'm all for this approach. If we can get a Gordon or Jabari, great. If we can't, then we have options. I would just add Burks to that list instead of letting Jerekbo, Udoh and Thabo all go. Burks is absolutely wasting his time and our cap space right now. He's not as bad as Quin is making him look.

I'm all for this approach. If we can get a Gordon or Jabari, great. If we can't, then we have options. I would just add Burks to that list instead of letting Jerekbo, Udoh and Thabo all go. Burks is absolutely wasting his time and our cap space right now. He's not as bad as Quin is making him look.

If we go after one of those guys then we are going full tank next year again, since both will be matched. But we wont be quite bad enough for a great pick with a 2nd year Mitchell and Gobert. But we wont be good enough to do anything since we gutted our depth.

If we go after one of those guys then we are going full tank next year again, since both will be matched. But we wont be quite bad enough for a great pick with a 2nd year Mitchell and Gobert. But we wont be good enough to do anything since we gutted our depth.

So let's say we go after and miss on Gordon and Parker. Which is likely, I agree.

Half of the NBA teams will be over the estimated luxury tax for the 2018-19 season. Yes, half. If we have cap space, will be able to gain an asset by taking a contract which expires before 2019 free agency. Somebody like Washington, Portland, etc will just give us a 1st rounder so they avoid millions in luxury taxes.

If we traded Hood and Burks to Atlanta for expirings and a late first, I guarantee it leads to either a good free agent or an asset during next season because of our space.

So let's say we go after and miss on Gordon and Parker. Which is likely, I agree.

Half of the NBA teams will be over the estimated luxury tax for the 2018-19 season. Yes, half. If we have cap space, will be able to gain an asset by taking a contract which expires before 2019 free agency. Somebody like Washington, Portland, etc will just give us a 1st rounder so they avoid millions in luxury taxes.

If we traded Hood and Burks to Atlanta for expirings and a late first, I guarantee it leads to either a good free agent or an asset during next season because of our space.

Gutting our team and missing out on signing one of those guys to take back a bad contract to get a late 1st round pick seems like a pretty silly way to try and rebuild. I would rather use our resources to get a lottery pick or better yet trade for a good player that fits, like Mirotic. Hood is worth more than a late 1st. I would rather try to keep him on a good deal that hope to get extremely lucky and draft a guy that is as good as him.

How many good teams in the NBA did it with acquiring a bunch of late 1st round picks for bad contracts?