What's new

Your top 5 videogames

I actually could never get into God of War specifically because I couldn't help feeling that it was just an inferior version of Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition in particular is just insanely good. The combat in that game was nuts, and the cutscenes were fun as hell to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k

i like both. devil may cry 2 is one of my fav

Given my perspective, which is likely the biggest nerd on the site when it comes to video games, this topic has been quite interesting.

Also Halo 2.

Looking back on it, it wasn't that great of a game, much worse than Counter Strike, but it came out during the peak of my Middle School gaming days and it was all me and my friends did for 2-3 years.

Man, if it was your first RPG, then I guess I sorta get it, but to me it was just so inferior to FF7, particularly since there was rarely any reason in FF8 to do anything other than spam guardian forces.

Yeah. FF8 was more of a nostalgic thing for me. I was under the T rating age limit, so I remember secretly playing the game while my Mom was upstairs, and when she walked down, I'd quickly hit the input button so it'd show cartoons. haha. The game was broken though. I'd end up keeping squall in the critical health, and repeat select characters until his limit break was available. FF7 redefined the RPG genre for sure, but being my first RPG, FF8 was a much more satisfying experience beating the game.

My attachment is due to reading the novel before starting any of the games. I liked Wu because they weren't focused and I saw a underdog in Sun Ce. I got pretty bored of Dynasty Warriors though. Pretty much the same thing in all the games.

Yeah, especially the part where Lu Bu kicks your ***.

Yeah. FF8 was more of a nostalgic thing for me. I was under the T rating age limit, so I remember secretly playing the game while my Mom was upstairs, and when she walked down, I'd quickly hit the input button so it'd show cartoons. haha. The game was broken though. I'd end up keeping squall in the critical health, and repeat select characters until his limit break was available. FF7 redefined the RPG genre for sure, but being my first RPG, FF8 was a much more satisfying experience beating the game.
Using the Aura spell to spam limits for all your characters was much more effective than spamming GFs or keeping your characters in critical.
I liked ff8 the best too. This is completely objective, but I liked how everything (gfs, magic drawing, weapons) worked together so counterintuitively to create a crazy OP party of characters. It was unique, and made sense in my mind. The game needed a super boss though. I liked the ff7 materia system second best in the series.

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to separate out the nostalgia with these things. And hey, in a list of "favorites" rather than "best," there's really no reason to. Nostalgia is as good a reason as any for a game to be a favorite.

I have to admit that I were playing the King's Field games for the first time today, I'm not sure I would have the patience for them. I'd like to think I'd still love them, but I'm just genuinely not sure. All I know is that I've tried going back to a lot of old games that I remembered loving only to find they had lost their luster, while the King's Field games have never disappointed me, and always feel like very old friends ever time I fire them up. Who can really say why?

Oh I remember one of my favorites from old times. Carmageddon!!!! Now that was a gore feast. Looked pretty simple at first but it took me few month to finally beat final level. Carmageddon II sucked on the other hand, way less gore and violence and it was not fun killing zombies with green insides instead of busty blondes, cows and football players:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydWCPW7zU6M#t=30

So ^THIS^

that I can't even describe how ^THIS^ is this post.

Reactions: MVP
In chronological order, since I couldn't possibly rank my top 5:

1) X-Com: UFO Defense
It's staggering how complex and how perfect this game is, both in the strategic component in the tactical one. Even more staggering is that it's never been duplicated, not even by the well-publicized remake, which is excellent but nonetheless inferior.
2) Chrono Cross
Best soundtrack ever in a game, story was dizzyingly complex but also heartfelt, and the game was rife with small innovations like poste-battle healing and fast-forward in new game+. I think I've played it through about 6 or 7 times.
3) Valkyria Chronicles
Everything about this game is beautiful. The art, the way the story is presented, the gameplay. I didn't blink at playing it through again immediately after finishing it the first time, and getting the top rank on all missions was an obsession.
4) Demon's Souls
Gaming perfection. A lot of people seem to prefer Dark Souls, and I like that game as well... but I thought the environments and bosses in the first entry were more frightening and more intimidating, which made them more fun to conquer.
5) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
The combat gameplay is just so excellent, and getting yourself the perfect weapon(s) and then hunting yourself the perfect armor set to go with those weapons is endlessly satisfying. Probably the greatest co-op game ever made.

Stuff that was very hard to leave off:

Powerball
King's Field 2
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 10
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8
Super Mario Strikers
Def Jam: Fight for NY
Okami
Burnout Paradise
Uncharted
Xenoblade
FIFA (whatever the latest is)

In chronological order, since I couldn't possibly rank my top 5:

1) X-Com: UFO Defense
It's staggering how complex and how perfect this game is, both in the strategic component in the tactical one. Even more staggering is that it's never been duplicated, not even by the well-publicized remake, which is excellent but nonetheless inferior.
2) Chrono Cross
Best soundtrack ever in a game, story was dizzyingly complex but also heartfelt, and the game was rife with small innovations like poste-battle healing and fast-forward in new game+. I think I've played it through about 6 or 7 times.
3) Valkyria Chronicles
Everything about this game is beautiful. The art, the way the story is presented, the gameplay. I didn't blink at playing it through again immediately after finishing it the first time, and getting the top rank on all missions was an obsession.
4) Demon's Souls
Gaming perfection. A lot of people seem to prefer Dark Souls, and I like that game as well... but I thought the environments and bosses in the first entry were more frightening and more intimidating, which made them more fun to conquer.
5) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
The combat gameplay is just so excellent, and getting yourself the perfect weapon(s) and then hunting yourself the perfect armor set to go with those weapons is endlessly satisfying. Probably the greatest co-op game ever made.

Stuff that was very hard to leave off:

Powerball
King's Field 2
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 10
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8
Super Mario Strikers
Def Jam: Fight for NY
Okami
Burnout Paradise
Uncharted
Xenoblade
FIFA (whatever the latest is)

Very nice list. I don't play FIFA because I don't care about soccer, and I never liked the Uncharted games... they were too much on rails for me to get interested.

Also, Chrono Cross does not have the best soundtrack ever. That would be Mega Man 2. If you say otherwise, well, you're just plain wrong. ;) And hey, what about Journey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrMrIZRD7Xc

The best FIFA game is without question RTWC 98 to me.

World Champions: Vanuatu!

^ at World Class.

You could actually intentionally try to injure someone. Dive into the goalkeeper when he had the ball. There was the Q button for that. Lead directly to red card.

Great great game.

Every gamer has those videogames that they hold dear to their hearts. Whether it was that boss that took you a month to beat, or those unforgettable moments lanning it up with your friends, we all have our favorite games. What are your top five games and why?

1) Zelda Ocarina of Time: to me this game is flawless. The game was so incredibly large in scale and was the first big open world 3d game.

2) Starcraft Brood War: although warcraft 2 was my first experience with rts, brood war was the most evenly balanced rts game ive played. Way too many hrs playing 3v3 bgh.

3) Halo 1/2: introduced me to the lan experienve with 15 other friends playing ctf on blood gulch. Great memories with friends.

4) Super Mario 3: I was three years old watching my older brother beat bowser for the first time. This was my first childhood game that introduced me to gaming. Also, who didn't love the hammer bros suit??

5) kingdom hearts 1 and 2: As a disney and final fantasy fan, I was enthralled by the immersive story involving square and disney characters. Battling malificent with donald and goofy was EPIC

Honorable mentions:
Final fantasy 8 (first rpg)
Pokemon (gameplay was amazing)
Super Smash Bros Melee
World of Warcraft
Metal Gear Solid
Warcraft 2
Soul Caliber 2

What is your top 5?

wGHLojo.gif

In no particular order.

Dark Souls
Uncharted series (#2 or #3 the best)
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 2
Zelda Orcarina of Time

Honorable mentions (good games and sentimental values)
Far Cry 3
Jet Force Gemini
Mutant League Football
NHL 94
Odd World
007 n64
Borderlands
GTA5
Demon Souls
Dark Souls 2
Gears of War
Fallout 3
Just Cause 2
Portal
Prince of Persia
Skyrim
The Saboteur
Mafia 2
Alan Wake
The Orange Box
TMNT the Arcade
Dig Dug

1. Portal 2 --> The most elegant, smart and imaginative game ever.

2. Mount&Blade--> The most addicting game of all times. Also the best indie game ever.

3. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 or FIFA Soccer 07 --> Best soccer games of the each series.

4. Bioshock --> The most impressive game for me.

5. Counter Strike --> The game I have played the most.

Last edited:
Currently I have incredibly little time for vidya games so I spend most of my gaming free time on Combat Arms online FPS from Korea. It is mindless and filled with bitching teens and preteens but it is still pretty fun when you get in with a bunch of guys that play together, and the game itself has a decent amount of variety and the game play is pretty good.

Plus all of my kids play, so I can get a game going with 3 of us in my house and my son in Utah all on the same team, all talking to each other on headsets. It's pretty fun. And generally it is free, but like most games like that it is pretty much pay to win.

Was that the first GTA mention? I barely got around to playing 5 a month or so ago.....but it was definitely worthy a top 10 spot....well.... At least one of the GTA games has to be up there. 5 and SA were the best to me. 4 was awful. Vice City was good.