What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

So is that what you’d bank an entire year on — getting a favorable bracket?

We also would not have won against Portland if we shot 20% on open threes or whatever the hell the number was.

We also would not have won against Portland if we shot 20% on open threes or whatever the hell the number was.
Yeah, but, “if we woulda hit our threes, we woulda won.” Law of averages could be our strategy, I suppose.

Basically, I’m afraid DL is taking the same approach to the team as any wise person would their retirement plan — not checking the amount every day, consistently chipping away by putting money into index funds. It’s a really solid strategy for retirement. However, our situation is more like we have $100k in our 401k, but we owe Deebo $165k next week or we may get whacked. Yeah, slow and steady wins the race, but **** the 401k — life is on the line and you may as well withdraw that, take it to the roulette table and put it on red. Yeah, you could lose it all, but if you continue “slow investing,” you may lose your hand next week.

I’ll get flamed for this but I’d reach out to Carmelo’s agent. No promises. Def not a starting spot unless he earns it. A one year deal. An expectation he busts his *** on defense and isn’t a black hole on offense. We need guys who can create. Threats. If we retain Udoh or Favors behind him, I could see it working.

We've got a goddamn ****ing genius on our hands! Watch out people! This one really knows how to put the ol' noodle to work!

His plan doesn’t work... he should drop it. Even if he cleared waivers why is he giving us the discount when he could likely get something similar and a starting job.

Remember he didn’t say they need to keep me... he said they need to pick up my option (he used the wrong terminology) that’s about money as much as anything else imo.

So retain Favs, let Ricky walk, add Lamb (who is okayish but Quin May murder him) and try again next summer? We might get better with internal development but that sounds like a recipe for 48-52 wins and a first or second round exit... nailed it!
My plan does work because my plan is - waive Favors. If somebody picks him up as an expiring $18 million contract, so be it. That's not gonna happen so I'm not worried about it. Then we offer Favors fair money to be at a place he keeps saying he wants to be. But once again, if he chooses to leave, we have a clear conscious. We waived him with the intention of keeping him even longer.

If Favors stays or goes in my plan, we still have $20 million to spend or $33 if he leaves. Thats a ton of money either way. I don't think we are in play for a max guy so that $20 million is plenty to have conversations with the 2nd level free agents like Bojan, Randle, Lamb, etc. Or conversations with multiple 3rd tier guys.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm not for this train of thought, but let's just jump down the rabbit hole:

If we trade Conley for Favors, Exum and our 2019 pick...

then do

Korver, Bradley, Neto and our 2020 1st to Miami for Olynyk and the #13 pick

Why for Utah - we got our starting PG in Conley, but we'll need a quality C behind Gobert. Olynyk fits our DNA and needs through his gritty play and ability as a big to stretch the floor. #13 could be used to add a key piece for the future.

Why for Miami - they are desperate to get under the luxury next season and clear cap room for 2020 spending. They dont have a 2020 pick, so this works nicely for them. Korver can be waived so this trade saves them millions this summer and next.

My plan does work because my plan is - waive Favors. If somebody picks him up as an expiring $18 million contract, so be it. That's not gonna happen so I'm not worried about it. Then we offer Favors fair money to be at a place he keeps saying he wants to be. But once again, if he chooses to leave, we have a clear conscious. We waived him with the intention of keeping him even longer.

If Favors stays or goes in my plan, we still have $20 million to spend or $33 if he leaves. Thats a ton of money either way. I don't think we are in play for a max guy so that $20 million is plenty to have conversations with the 2nd level free agents like Bojan, Randle, Lamb, etc. Or conversations with multiple 3rd tier guys.

If you waive someone, people bid on a waivers claim. So if Dallas decided they’d pay $5M, it means the Jazz are on the hook for the balance.

If you waive someone, people bid on a waivers claim. So if Dallas decided they’d pay $5M, it means the Jazz are on the hook for the balance.

Not how it works... they’d have to take his whole contract which could absolutely happen.

Pretty sure we can’t trade Favors for Conley. Favors counts as zero dollars until his contract guarantees, and it’s not like a team option where you can just opt into it in advance then count his salary. So, until July (7th?), Favors counts as $0 in any trade.

Pulling off a swap for Conley would be next to impossible, with the contracts we have, unless you’re ok sending Joe Ingles as part of the deal, along with Exum, and Crowder.

Pretty sure we can’t trade Favors for Conley. Favors counts as zero dollars until his contract guarantees, and it’s not like a team option where you can just opt into it in advance then count his salary. So, until July (7th?), Favors counts as $0 in any trade.

Pulling off a swap for Conley would be next to impossible, with the contracts we have, unless you’re ok sending Joe Ingles as part of the deal, along with Exum, and Crowder.

I’m not sure but I think we could either guarantee the salary or decide to move up the date... Favs would have to agree... they move guarantee dates back all the time.

Yeah, but, “if we woulda hit our threes, we woulda won.” Law of averages could be our strategy, I suppose.

Basically, I’m afraid DL is taking the same approach to the team as any wise person would their retirement plan — not checking the amount every day, consistently chipping away by putting money into index funds. It’s a really solid strategy for retirement. However, our situation is more like we have $100k in our 401k, but we owe Deebo $165k next week or we may get whacked. Yeah, slow and steady wins the race, but **** the 401k — life is on the line and you may as well withdraw that, take it to the roulette table and put it on red. Yeah, you could lose it all, but if you continue “slow investing,” you may lose your hand next week.

One of my least favorite sayings of all time is slow and steady wins the race... I have watched many races and fast has won all of them.