What's new

More Mitchell Love

I’m responding to this only because you mentioned clogging the paint.

I see this as an issue for our shooting. Defenses don’t have to clog the paint on Gobert because he stinks offensively so teams can play off him and on the perimeter shooters a little more.

That defensive scheme gives us the most trouble. Utah is living and dying off drive and kick. That doesn't work well with clog unless the 2 ball is falling.

So what is Mitchell at this stage, a streaky shooter, high end scorer with some serious swagger and clutch DNA?
It's hard to rationalise how good he can be when it seems to count most... but how much he can miss at other times.

Mind you his inside and mid-range game is pretty much money.
Rookies never get better, so yes, pretty much this.
It's kind of scary to think what he may become next season, with an off-season to work on his 3PT shooting and conditioning. I just think he's hit a wall, averaging 30+ mins for a full NBA season. And the way he plays, he has to have tired legs at this point.

8 games remaining.

Donovan needs 2 three-pointers a game (and 3 at least one game) in order to beat Dame's record.

Countdown on Most 3 point makes by a Rookie: Post Celtics - 3/27/18

1.) Damian Lillard, Portland (12/13) - 185
2.) Donovan Mitchell, Utah (17/18) - 172
3.) Steph Curry, GSW (09/10) - 166

Donovan Mitchell (17/18) - with three more 3 pointers tonight brings his total to 172.

Needs 14 more to take over 1st.

7 games left to go. He needs to average 2.125 per game to do that. He’s been averaging 2.6 per game (on 7.3 attempts) since the win streak began back in January. Even though they lost, Donovan had a decent (if inefficient) night.

Mitchell way too inefficient. 7-20 in tonight's loss. And that inefficiency and the TO's contribute to the losses. Mitchell has had a terrible March. I choose Simmons.

Simmons is getting stronger and playing alot better than Mitchell is coming down the stretch.Philadelphia is winning and playing team ball with Simmons running the show.Jazz have gone ISO and hero ball with Mitchell and his stats are suffering as a result.

Simmons is getting stronger and playing alot better than Mitchell is coming down the stretch.Philadelphia is winning and playing team ball with Simmons running the show.Jazz have gone ISO and hero ball with Mitchell and his stats are suffering as a result.
I actually agree, Donovan’s still had a ROY worthy season, but Simmons is currently locking it up. Gobert probably has a better chance at DPOY, than Donovan has at ROY.

Countdown on Most 3 point makes by a Rookie: Post Grizzlies - 3/30/18

1.) Damian Lillard, Portland (12/13) - 185
2.) Donovan Mitchell, Utah (17/18) - 174
3.) Steph Curry, GSW (09/10) - 166

Donovan Mitchell (17/18) - with two more 3 pointers tonight brings his total to 174.

Needs 12 more to take over 1st.

6 games left to go. He needs to average 2 per game to do that. He’s been averaging 2.6 per game (on 7.3 attempts) since the win streak began back in January.

What are you talking about? Simmons is not getting stronger. He is having the worst month of his career. His assists are slightly up but he is struggling to score, he is averaging 12.7 ppg and somehow he is getting worse at shooting FTs which is scary.

Meanwhile Mitchell, despite defenses completely focusing on him, is averaging 23.1 ppg this month which is the most of any month so far. His 3 point shot has been poor this month but pretty much every other aspect is up over his season averages. Mitchell is almost averaging double the points of Simmons this month. I think Mitchell is starting to pull away for ROY.

Simmons is the 3rd leading scorer on his team but barely, he is pretty close to 4th. Saric is getting close to passing him up since Simmons scoring is way down.

Mitchell way too inefficient. 7-20 in tonight's loss. And that inefficiency and the TO's contribute to the losses. Mitchell has had a terrible March. I choose Simmons.

A couple of those were late-clock heaves, including the last shot of the game. If he's 7/17 or 7/18, that's about 40% and okay for the looks he's getting.

What are you talking about? Simmons is not getting stronger. He is having the worst month of his career. His assists are slightly up but he is struggling to score, he is averaging 12.7 ppg and somehow he is getting worse at shooting FTs which is scary.

Meanwhile Mitchell, despite defenses completely focusing on him, is averaging 23.1 ppg this month which is the most of any month so far. His 3 point shot has been poor this month but pretty much every other aspect is up over his season averages. Mitchell is almost averaging double the points of Simmons this month. I think Mitchell is starting to pull away for ROY.

I love Donovan to death but I’m not going to lie to myself to somehow convince myself of something. Donovan is worthy of ROY but his inefficiency lately is a problem. It’s not a knock on Donovan but Simmons has been incredible the last few weeks and his team is also winning.

Simmons had 13 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks. That’s a very solid night. Donovan also had a very solid night.

Sorry but you can’t minimize what simmons has done and is doing or you lose all credibility in this argument. It’s still a bit of a toss up, but Donovan’s gonna need a strong last 6 games and the Jazz must make the playoffs for him to get the award.