What's new

The Missing Piece

I don’t know. Poor rebounding big men is a huge pet peeve for me, kind of akin to missing the first of two free throws. Don’t like 4s who can’t grab at least 8 rebounds per 36, which I know is now a harsh criteria only because the league has continued to put high school point guards at the 4 spot.

He’s not a full time four, but a guy that can play spot minutes... maybe more.

He’s a guy that I think people want to be good but likely is just pretty average.

Hezonja isn't a "missing piece" player.

I liked him in the draft, but the vibe I've gotten is that he's a "shut it down" type of player if things aren't going his way. I don't think that would go very well on a Snyder coached team.

Nothing I've read in this thread so far screams +10 wins for the Jazz over this year's roster +1 year experience, which is the kind of improvement needed to go from up and comer to threat to win two or more playoff series. Jazz may not have a choice given the free agency of their players, so these are more backup plans than initial plans.

We have to play the long game here I think... a guy like middleton or Tobias Harris in FA doesn’t put us over the top. Hitting on a pick like Rudy, DM, Giannis, Draymond, jokic, jimmy butler, like we need to get effing lucky.

Get more chances at it by taking on some salary if u think there are guys there... try and find an unprotected pick from a team that thinks they will be good (like Brooklyn)... okay maybe those trades aren’t out there.

Gotta get lucky... try multiple avenues but those long shot picks can’t be sold to speed up the process in my mind... Danny ainge is a dick but he is so patient... it is paying off big time now.
Agree with this. When was the last time we got a stud via free agency, Boozer?

Draft is our best shot

Patrick Beverley.

I’d so be down with Burks for Bev and filler if the Clips were down with it to clear cap space buys im not sure why they would be.

Rubio-Bev
Mitchell
Ingles
You go for who has more potential. Hezonja has more potential.

No, that’s not how it works. There’s no hard and fast rule. At all.

While you may be, I have zero interest in signing Mario to a 4/50 deal (which we don’t even currently have the room to do anyway right now) to watch him shoot 33% from 3, get destroyed on defense at the 4 (which I doubt he could play well anyway) and sulk when Ingles or Crowder see more meaningful minutes. Christ, the kid saw only 22 minutes a game on an awful Magic team.

This should help a bit
qdwLN72.png

I’d so be down with Burks for Bev and filler if the Clips were down with it to clear cap space buys im not sure why they would be.

Rubio-Bev
Mitchell
Ingles

While you may be, I have zero interest in signing Mario to a 4/50 deal (which we don’t even currently have the room to do anyway right now) to watch him shoot 33% from 3, get destroyed on defense at the 4 (which I doubt he could play well anyway) and sulk when Ingles or Crowder see more meaningful minutes. Christ, the kid saw only 22 minutes a game on an awful Magic team.

That doesnt mean anything. Orlando also benched Oladipo, limited his minutes, and traded him. They limit Vucevics minutes too and he balls out practically every time he steps on the court.

Do you notice a pattern with the Orlando Magic?

You are also not taking into an account the inconsistencies of playing time due to injuries on the roster and different players coming and going that he has had to compete with since he has been there. There have been a plethora of players at his position for a while now.

Not no but hell no to Jabari. 4 good reasons:
1) rumors he wants a max contract lol
2) rumors there's tensions between him and management because he's jealous of Giannis (character)
3) 2 torn ACLs
4) no defense

Harris would be a nice bench player, but he isn't a 4, which is what we are looking for. Dude's only 6'6".

We need more good basketball players. Trying to sign a 4 simply for the sake of signing a 4 because we’re so hung up on getting a stretch 4 is dumb as ****.

We have Jae. We have Sef. If we re-signed Faves, maybe he takes another minute step forward this year.

I’d rather have those guys then play Mario 12-15M or Jabari 15-18M.

Which by the way we can’t do because, well, there are cap restrictions and ya know, this isn’t fantasyland.

IMO, none of the discussed "pieces" is the "missing piece." Harris, Super Mario, and Parker won't put us over the Warriors or Rockets.

In the cases of Super Mario and Parker, not only NO but HELL NO.

Super Mario is Rodney Hood 2.0. He does ok when he's playing against inferior competition and his jumper is going in. But when faced against tough matchups or isn't getting the ball, he falters rather than rises. He's one dimensional, just like Hood. If he's scoring, he's effective. But when he's not scoring, he doesn't contribute in any other way.

Parker is more injury prone than Exum and doesn't defend. Due to his religious affiliation, there will be a large segment of the Jazz fan base that will put pressure on the franchise to make Parker a focal point of the team rather than a role player off the bench.

IMO, outside of Leonard or James coming to Utah for free, there isn't a FA out there that significantly upgrades this team. The upgrades need to come through current player development and improvement and smart draft choices. Royce O'Neal must be a focus. If he can improve his 3 point shot, much like Ingles has done in his career, he could be James Posey/Shawn Marion Lite, a perfect player to start alongside Mitchell. Crowder needs to lose about 10-15 lbs to improve his quickness.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't go after any FAs. But I don't think we should break the bank for anyone either. I like Patrick Beverly and Terry Rozier. One thing that stood out to me after Rubio went down was our lack of guards who could create off the dribble for others. If we could somehow pick off Beverly or Rozier, I think that upgrades our team in a spot of great need.

Does it put us over the Warriors or Rockets? Probably not.

But these teams are super teams. Outside of signing another big time start like Lebron James or Kawhi Leonard, there's no way we are going to beat a healthy Warriors team who start arguably the best PG, SG, and SF in the entire league.

Perhaps the best way to beat them is to wait them out? Golden State is getting older and Houston has got to start losing players, right? And how much longer can CP3 keep this up? If the Jazz play their cards right, Gobert and Mitchell will be in their primes just as Houston and Golden State are in decline.

The Knicks already have what 2-3 mediocre project PGs. No chance

Lol.
I was just thinking about what Fizdale said in what he is looking for. He wants long and defensive minded players. I mean he has Mudiay and Burke there atm and Ntilikina can't really penetrate (good project though).

Rubio-Bev
Mitchell
Ingles

You will have to come around to the fact that the Jazz are bringing Dante back