What's new

True Detective

I keep checking this thread hoping to see "OH **** SON! THE GAME HAS CHANGEDDD!!!!"

But instead dudes are falling asleep. Sadly, I think this show really does suck.

I was tired and it was late but I was not enjoying what I was seeing.

Too Bad.

I'm still liking it

Episode 2 was way better than the 1st one.

WTF at the end though.

SPOILERS BELOW

How are you going to kill off what was probably the best character?

Episode 2 was way better than the 1st one.

WTF at the end though.

SPOILERS BELOW

How are you going to kill off what was probably the best character?

i dont think he is dead. i think he got shot with bean bags or rocksalt shotgun shells which hurt like a muther****er!

He's definitely not dead.

Overall, it's okay so far. Ferrell's character just isn't as interesting as McConaughey's.

It continues to get better, but I have no idea wtf is going on in the case. It's just so jumbled.
Nailed it

It's not as good as the first season. But it's okay. I can see the same writing, but not the same execution.

On a completely different note, it was really nice to see real high end poker stuff on a poker table in a show. Those were Nevada Jack style (ceramic) chips and Copag (pvc) cards. I'd have been delighted to sit down at that poker table. My stuff is better (i'm not at all kidding) but that was legit poker gear.

Gave up on the main investigation that is supposedly driving the story, it's just too muddled for me to bother to follow. That said the last couple episodes have actually been pretty damn entertaining. It's progressing with some urgency that was needed in earlier episodes(shame it took so long). Vince Vaughn really shined in the episode tonight. Farrell is clearly the MVP of the season but the other actors have been good too.

HBO's unwillingness or inability to get one strong director to do the whole season has hurt this more than anything else this time around IMO. Is the story less interesting? Sure, by far. Is the acting not as strong? By a mile. There are other flaws too. But one strong director could've unmuddled this, bringing a vision and depth to this that is sorely lacking, helping get A acting rather than B- work, utilizing better camerawork (this season has been awful), and so forth. There is a reason every Scorsese movie, every Fincher movie, and so forth is strong. The director takes the written words, even if they're mediocre, and makes them shine. He takes Jesse Eisenberg or Jonah Hill or Steve Carrell and makes him an Oscar nominee.

These directors have sucked ***.

Gave up on the main investigation that is supposedly driving the story, it's just too muddled for me to bother to follow. That said the last couple episodes have actually been pretty damn entertaining. It's progressing with some urgency that was needed in earlier episodes(shame it took so long). Vince Vaughn really shined in the episode tonight. Farrell is clearly the MVP of the season but the other actors have been good too.
All of this.
The case is way to confusing with too many names/parts.
The acting is quite good though and im really looking forward to next week!
(And yes, farrell is the mcconahey of this season..... Though a very poor mans mcconahey)

HBO's unwillingness or inability to get one strong director to do the whole season has hurt this more than anything else this time around IMO. Is the story less interesting? Sure, by far. Is the acting not as strong? By a mile. There are other flaws too. But one strong director could've unmuddled this, bringing a vision and depth to this that is sorely lacking, helping get A acting rather than B- work, utilizing better camerawork (this season has been awful), and so forth. There is a reason every Scorsese movie, every Fincher movie, and so forth is strong. The director takes the written words, even if they're mediocre, and makes them shine. He takes Jesse Eisenberg or Jonah Hill or Steve Carrell and makes him an Oscar nominee.

These directors have sucked ***.

Most shows use multiple directors, I don't think that is the problem. It seems like the writing was rushed.

Like, I'm still enjoying the show. The last episode was entertaining, but it all seems super basic where Season 1 had a grand feeling to it.

This just seems like the most basic police corruption story possible.

Best thing about this season is Vince Vaughn's character's wife's boobs.

That disgusting hooker ginger?

Granted I've missed the last 3 episodes, so maybe she's gotten not disgusting for some reason.