What's new

We HAVE to make a trade.

Nice article: https://thejnotes.com/2018/11/29/utah-jazz-korver-deal-adds-teams-stockpile-trade-exceptions/

I had mentioned the Korver trade exception in his thread. We also have the Johnson & Hood trade exceptions which expire in February of 2019 (3.7M & 2.4M). I doubt DL is going to let those expire. And both can be combined in one trade or used separately (or all three can be used in one trade).

Edit: They can't be combined. I misread. I'm going to get a refund from hooked on Phonics.

Last edited:
Nope. We're done. NO ONE wants Exum. I think he has even less value than Fultz now that he's being paid so much. Rubio? Who is going to trade anything of value for Ricky. Well, I guess Ricky or Favors as an expiring salary PLUS Utah's first might be of value. But c'mon, Lindsey had a fantastic deal staring him in the face last season and wouldn't trade the first. I don't see the Jazz being far enough ahead of teams, or secure enough in the playoff picture by the deadline. Lindsey will hold on to the 1st like it's the last hot item on Black Friday.

Plus, I think Dennis really believes Utah is a free agent destination. Surely the new practice facility is all that a young 20-something could ever want in a city. If not Lebron or Durant, certainly Thompson or Middleton. So he'll make some calls when business opens up this summer, lose out on the 1st tier and the 2nd and then decide the 3rd tier FA's are just too expensive, just like EVERY summer since he's been here.
I'm not 100% sure no one wants Exum.

There are rumors surrounding teams wanting Frank Ntlikina and he's worse than (but 3 years younger) than Exum.

Locke said on his podcast that he doesn't think this is the precursor to something bigger, or anything else. But my gut feeling is that was Company Man Locke speaking.
I don't think it is. There's 45 days between when the Korver trade happened and January 15th, which is when Exum/Favors become trade eligible. A lot of stuff can happen between then and now.

Nice article: https://thejnotes.com/2018/11/29/utah-jazz-korver-deal-adds-teams-stockpile-trade-exceptions/

I had mentioned the Korver trade exception in his thread. We also have the Johnson & Hood trade exceptions which expire in February of 2019 (3.7M & 2.4M). I doubt DL is going to let those expire. And both can be combined in one trade or used separately (or all three can be used in one trade).

I'm pretty sure you can't combine them. However, they could be useful. Unfortunately, we rarely ever use trade exceptions. I think the last time we used a trade exception was to acquire Al Jefferson by using the one we got by trading Boozer.

We should try to use our exceptions. Guys like Jeff Green, Kaminsky, Korkmaz, Bobby Portis and some others might be available closer to the deadline. We might have to send out a minor asset, but it could make sense.

Nope, cant combine them. The exceptions are so small that they're relatively useless. The only way I could see them used is to help a team cut salary in connection with another trade. Or if a team approaches Utah to get under the tax by taking on some bench scrub. Then Utah could get a 2nd as the price.

I'm pretty sure you can't combine them. However, they could be useful. Unfortunately, we rarely ever use trade exceptions. I think the last time we used a trade exception was to acquire Al Jefferson by using the one we got by trading Boozer.

We should try to use our exceptions. Guys like Jeff Green, Kaminsky, Korkmaz, Bobby Portis and some others might be available closer to the deadline. We might have to send out a minor asset, but it could make sense.

You're correct - I totally misread the article. My mind is exploding with nonsense today.

You're correct - I totally misread the article. My mind is exploding with nonsense today.

It's all good man. But you bring up the most important point - we have trade exceptions and we should try to use them. There could be some decent trade exception type guys available before the deadline.

Use all our trade exemptions, Favors, Udoh, and Exum for Love

EDIT: Actually, we could do it for Exum OR Favors + fillers. I'm all for that

Ye i wasn't a big fan of the dante signing. I knew he was what he is since the day he was drafted. I was really against that pick.
I knew it when Jazz landed nr. 5 pick. I even had a dream that Jazz will draft Exum and was posting here how terrible it would be way before the draft.

Go. Get. Portis.

I knew it when Jazz landed nr. 5 pick. I even had a dream that Jazz will draft Exum and was posting here how terrible it would be way before the draft.
It’s good to see your hate is longstanding and before he was even drafted, yep Dante is not playing any good, I agree. So let’s trade him for anything at all and give him and the Jazz a new start. That’s my view.

It’s good to see your hate is longstanding and before he was even drafted,
Its not hate, dude. Its is objective evaluation of a player - and his red flags before the draft were screaming very loudly - stay away from me!!!!! After he was drafted I said, ok lets give him some time, maybe he will show something special. Unfortunately yamers, me, kyoto, seattlefan and some other were dead on -dude is a bust as nr. 5 pick. Had he been drafted in late 20's nobody would expect much, unfortinately with nr. 5 comes a bit higher expectations.

Is he out of the rotation or something?

No idea but with Lauri now back, I gotta think he loses some time.

He’s a FA (I think UFA but I forget) and is pretty much what we need. Long, pretty athletic, young, can hit the 3, plays defense (I think—he did in college), and to me, based on all that, has a lot of upside, especially relative to wha i think his cost would be.

@Saint Cy of JFC

Is this a fair commentary on Portis?

Portis is a restricted free agent this summer. Not really sure he stands with Chicago. Do they like him?

Also, if we get Portis, the Mirotic dream is officially dead.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Portis is a restricted free agent this summer. Not really sure he stands with Chicago. Do they like him?

Also, if we get Portis, the Mirotic dream is officially dead.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Nah, let’s just make sure we facilitate a deal where Portis goes to NOP.

Here’s part of the issue with Portis. His (perceived) personality. Maybe there are work ethic issues too, I don’t know. But I can’t see Lindsey going after a young player with such character concerns.

Which brings me to my concern/beef. If Gobert and Ingles and Mitchell are such great ****ing leaders, shouldn’t they be able to rein him in, get him to buy in, get him to want to work his *** off, and become as great as he can maybe be.

Sorry, but the FO and media can’t rave about how great the leaders (Quin included) are on our team and how great the chemistry is between the guys and then have a FO unwilling to go after a guy with some issues. That’s not great leadership. That’s getting vanilla players you know are willing to fit your vanilla ways.

I'd be willing to take chances. I don't really see the upside with Portis, though.