What's new

We HAVE to make a trade.

An article today about the Fultz situation: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-fultz-but-good-luck-finding-a-trade-partner

"I'd be surprised if they get any type of first-round pick," another team executive said. "It's just hard for any team who is trying to have space this summer to take a flyer on a guy like that who will eat into their space like he will."

"Given the current reality, turning him into anything that can help them win now would be a win."

I still think he's worth the gamble especially if we don't have to give up a 1st.

The only way I'd consider a Fultz trade is Exum for Fultz straight up swap.

They might do that if they exhaust all other options and can't find anything else better. It seems like they will probably be able to give him to a tanking team for an expiring, and that will likely be preferable given their cap situation.

Under no circumstance do I want Exum and Fultz on the same team. You either do a swap, or you get Fultz and then trade Exum for an expiring to another team

They might do that if they exhaust all other options and can't find anything else better. It seems like they will probably be able to give him to a tanking team for an expiring, and that will likely be preferable given their cap situation.

Under no circumstance do I want Exum and Fultz on the same team. You either do a swap, or you get Fultz and then trade Exum for an expiring to another team

I'd trade Burks or Exum. I love the idea of a young #1 pick. There's always a risk. Hopefully he can heal up. I believe Utah would be great for him.

Most people here praised the Crowder trade. We all thought he could kind of return to his Boston play and be one of the best role players on a cheap deal. It hasnt happened. Is it DL's fault he's shooting 26% from 3 in November?
last year he traveled with 31%, we did not take Ray Allen ..

The Salary Cap for 2019-20 will be $109 million (up $7 million from this year). The luxury tax will be $134 million (up $8 million from this year). https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-sets-salary-cap-2019-20-2020-21-seasons-020033583.html

For 2019-20, we have the following contracts:
Gobert $25
Favors $16.9 (team option)
Ingles $12
FULTZ $9.75
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
Neto $2 (team option)
Niang $1.6 (team option)
O'Neale $1.6 (team option)
Draft pick cap hold $2
TOTAL: $97 million (if we picked up all team options)

Rubio $22.5 cap hold
Burks $17.3 cap hold
Thabo $6.8 cap hold
Udoh $4.4 cap hold

The most cap space we could possibly have available is $75 million if we sent all the team option guys packing and renounced all 4 unrestricted free agents.

So if we let everybody go, renounced all the free agents, we could still target Middleton, Tobias Harris, whoever with a max contract. These guys would be under contract:
Gobert, Ingles, Fultz, Exum, Crowder, Mitchell, Allen, Bradley. We could keep Niang and O'Neale and still have over $30 million.
Why Middleton should come to us?

There's a legit chance that Fultz can't raise his arm over his head, which is why he can no longer shoot from distance. It's something to do with a bike accident that happened after summer league and before pre-season a year ago.

So we may be talking about a guy doing rehab for $10M/year. Feel like we have that already.

He got Mitchell/Gobert/Ingles...

Sorry he wasnt the GM of a team that tanked for years on years and stockpiled them, didnt have Billy King to **** over, and isn't on a team where free agents lineup to join.

And the players you have need to play well. If O'Neale/Exum took a step forward, they'd be assets. If Crowder could consistently play like Boston Jae, he'd be a major asset. I don't think those 3 things where pie in the sky hopes. They should be happening.

This isnt even close to being DL's fault.

Oh you have to tank to get assets or rip other GMs off... my bad.

Also, it is partly DL’s fault... there is a blame pie and DL gets a decent slice. Can’t say the players are underperforming and we don’t have assets to get better players but that it isn’t the fault of the person who brings in the players.

We’ve had other assets get squandered... bunch of seconds that were sold, firsts used on guys that have no real path to ever get playing time, not using cap space/assets each year. I get it he doesn’t have the Brooklyn pick but if the cupboards are bare then maybe the person doing the shopping is at least partly to blame.

Why Middleton should come to us?

I think there is a 0% shot Middleton comes here. I just put his name on there because we have dreamers who think it's possible. And I wanted to point out that getting Fultz does NOT keep us from signing a big free agent this summer.

I'd trade Burks or Exum. I love the idea of a young #1 pick. There's always a risk. Hopefully he can heal up. I believe Utah would be great for him.

Agree. He needs away from the media spotlight and just focus on hoops. Utah be a good place for that and a future of Mitchell and him is a nice backcourt. If he doesn't live up to it then it's not like you lost alot. basically trading jazz own busted pick for another. I like the gamble from Utah perspective. Exum a friend of Simmons too isn't he?

You kind of mention it, but the Sixers want a player, preferably a shooter, who can help right now and they want to keep summer space available. So Exum for Fultz makes zero sense for Philly.

I don't see what the big deal is if we have Fultz AND Exum. I don't think Exum ever projected to be some offensive phenom just like Fultz never projected to be some defensive phenom. They could both exist with Mitchell and we use their strengths accordingly. If Fultz works out, he starts and Exum comes off the bench as a SG/PG. I don't understand the issue with having two projects with the potential that they both still have.

Oh you have to tank to get assets or rip other GMs off... my bad.

Also, it is partly DL’s fault... there is a blame pie and DL gets a decent slice. Can’t say the players are underperforming and we don’t have assets to get better players but that it isn’t the fault of the person who brings in the players.

We’ve had other assets get squandered... bunch of seconds that were sold, firsts used on guys that have no real path to ever get playing time, not using cap space/assets each year. I get it he doesn’t have the Brooklyn pick but if the cupboards are bare then maybe the person doing the shopping is at least partly to blame.
This is such ridiculous hindsight stuff.

Oh, he sold a 2nd round pick? Sorry we didnt draft Vince Edwards, such a great asset.

Again, who here was saying that O'Neale, Exum, and Crowder would all regress? if we brought veteran "upgrades" and those guys played badly, then people would be complaining about he went out and signed these middling contracts that are now hurting our cap flexibility and that young players should be playing.

Jazz are suppose to be a player development team. DL played to the team's strengths and it hasnt payed off early in the year, but this isnt a 20 game season.

I think there is a 0% shot Middleton comes here. I just put his name on there because we have dreamers who think it's possible. And I wanted to point out that getting Fultz does NOT keep us from signing a big free agent this summer.
I agree with you.. unfortunately in the Fa market we are not very attractive, moreover our GM has never seemed very aggressive from this point of view ..

I think the fact that the Jazz have Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles and possibly even Rubio (who tries not to take shots) means the Jazz could be attractive to a free agent. The PF spot is wide open and someone could come in and get 15 shots per night on a playoff team. It makes sense why Mirotic wanted to come here.

He has 33% in his career, it does not seem a great media ...
Yes, career average who was trending up before last season. Everyone thought last year was outlier bad and he would return to form, in some capacity, not regress. Let's not do revisionist history about our expectations for Crowder this year.

This is such ridiculous hindsight stuff.

Oh, he sold a 2nd round pick? Sorry we didnt draft Vince Edwards, such a great asset.

Again, who here was saying that O'Neale, Exum, and Crowder would all regress? if we brought veteran "upgrades" and those guys played badly, then people would be complaining about he went out and signed these middling contracts that are now hurting our cap flexibility and that young players should be playing.

Jazz are suppose to be a player development team. DL played to the team's strengths and it hasnt payed off early in the year, but this isnt a 20 game season.

It’s only hindsight if you don’t say it when it happens... we’ve sold multiple second rounders over the last 5 years... not just one... I was critical when those things happened.

I was critical of the Tony Bradley pick when it happened... it made no sense to me. Take a chance on a different type of prospect that has a chance of playing and there might be some value there.

I was a little critical of the Jae trade when it happened... his rep as a shooter is better than his ability... he is fine but DL said we could have had a first for Hood instead. That’s fine again but if you had the first and used the salary to get a Bjelica or Tolliver then the asset base is better.

The team is underperforming no doubt but saying DL doesn’t shoulder some of the blame is ridiculous. He also gets credit for the things he does right. I think Royce can rebound... I think he’s drafted well overall, but dude has certainly left some money on the table.

I think the fact that the Jazz have Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles and possibly even Rubio (who tries not to take shots) means the Jazz could be attractive to a free agent. The PF spot is wide open and someone could come in and get 15 shots per night on a playoff team. It makes sense why Mirotic wanted to come here.
No it doesnt. He wants to be in New Orleans where they run a fast paced offense where he doesnt have to play defense.