What's new

2022 NBA Draft Thread: We Going to Have a Pick! (lmao jk)

Baseline? Just threw a name out there that others that know a lot more than me throw out there. c h i l l

That is precisely what “I don’t know how he’s not xxxx” means. Unless I’m mistaken? Does that somehow translate to his maximum potential?

If I’m a crazy person for pointing out a ridiculous statement so be it.

That is precisely what “I don’t know how he’s not xxxx” means. Unless I’m mistaken? Does that somehow translate to his maximum potential?

If I’m a crazy person for pointing out a ridiculous statement so be it.
You're a crazy person for reacting like I ****ed your mom. But yeah, my bad for being loose with language on a message board literally talking about a game.

You're a crazy person for reacting like I ****ed your mom. But yeah, my bad for being loose with language on a message board literally talking about a game.

My bad for responding to a question about basketball on basketball forum. I won’t respond if you are too sensitive to receive the answer to your question.

So Sharpe seems to be falling. Listened to Down to Dunk - Okc podcast that is pretty fun. Supposedly he hasn't been doing well in workouts and interviews. He worked out for Charlotte. I think he falls to #11 or #12 unless OKC trades up to get him.

Ironically, as a prospect Ivey compares more favorably to RWB. Stylistically he is more similar, although it is still crazy to expect that type of development out of anyone. Exceptions are exceptions for a reason.

I honestly think the Morant comparison comes from the same hair….Rose, I think people just forgot who he was.

No... I am saying the upper end of his ceiling looks more like those types of players. Rose is a tricky one. He was basically pg version of Lebron before the injuries.

I think Ivey can be very good and I see why someone would say Rose/Morant because when they get downhill they are amazing. I think Ivey has some of that... but its why I don't love straight player to player comps because they are all different enough that its easy to poke holes.

Sorry.. the joke went over your head lol.

Ironically, as a prospect Ivey compares more favorably to RWB. Stylistically he is more similar, although it is still crazy to expect that type of development out of anyone. Exceptions are exceptions for a reason.

I honestly think the Morant comparison comes from the same hair….Rose, I think people just forgot who he was.
Maybe my problem is less that I forgot who Rose was and more that I thought he was overrated at the time (which isn't to say he was dog **** or anything, he was obviously great but the hype and accolades seemed over-the-top to me).

But again, in any case, if you throw all of these names in a pot and Ivey's belongs in it then that's a damn fine prospect.

Maybe my problem is less that I forgot who Rose was and more that I thought he was overrated at the time (which isn't to say he was dog **** or anything, he was obviously great but the hype and accolades seemed over-the-top to me).

But again, in any case, if you throw all of these names in a pot and Ivey's belongs in it then that's a damn fine prospect.

I just don’t think he plays like Morant/Rose at all…mainly because he did not play that role in college. RWB…completely different player in college than he was in the pros. But that is the transition Ivey would theoretically have to make. It’s the same for any other type of player to make a drastic change in the way they ply.

I don’t really see an issue with comparing players even if you don’t think they will reach the same heights or if it’s not perfect. But I think it’s very common that people are too quick to talk themselves into thinking players are a sure thing…especially if that sure thing was an elite player at 22 years or not. Deserved MVP or not, Rose was an exceptional player only beginning to reach his potential. I don’t think he deserved it either, but no one wins the MVP or even makes the ballot without being one of the best players in the league. To even be in the conversation that young shows the trajectory of his would have been career.

The draft is fun….but if you can’t see why a player won’t turn into one of the best players/prospects in the league, you might have too high of expectations for the draft.

If we traded for #4....I think I'm more privy to Mathurin. He's very young for his class, and I believe in his ceiling/floor more than Ivey. Can't get enough guys who are 6'6, athletic, play hard, and can shoot. I really believe in his shot....not sure I can say the same about Ivey and I don't think I could stomach the risk of taking Sharpe. I'd also throw Keegan Murray (I think he's being underrated) and maybe even Dyson Daniels in the same tier. I'd probably go:

Mathurin
Murray
Ivey
Daniels

If we traded for #4....I think I'm more privy to Mathurin. He's very young for his class, and I believe in his ceiling/floor more than Ivey. Can't get enough guys who are 6'6, athletic, play hard, and can shoot. I really believe in his shot....not sure I can say the same about Ivey and I don't think I could stomach the risk of taking Sharpe. I'd also throw Keegan Murray (I think he's being underrated) and maybe even Dyson Daniels in the same tier. I'd probably go:

Mathurin
Murray
Ivey
Daniels

No way in hell do you take Mathurin top-4. You’d trade down a couple spots if he’s the target.

No way in hell do you take Mathurin top-4. You’d trade down a couple spots if he’s the target.
Maybe... but Sacramento has botched this before... Like if you really like Bagley then trade back... especially because Dallas was sitting right there offering stuff to Atlanta. I can see them opting for Mathurin instead of Ivey just for fit. I think Ivey goes 4th but I think Sharpe is sliding and I could see Detroit going Mathurin over Murray. Supposedly Mathurin is rising and is killing the interviews.

After 3 there isn't too much that would surprise me.

Maybe... but Sacramento has botched this before... Like if you really like Bagley then trade back... especially because Dallas was sitting right there offering stuff to Atlanta. I can see them opting for Mathurin instead of Ivey just for fit. I think Ivey goes 4th but I think Sharpe is sliding and I could see Detroit going Mathurin over Murray. Supposedly Mathurin is rising and is killing the interviews.

After 3 there isn't too much that would surprise me.

Yeah.. no thanks. He’s not that good. Nothing will ever shock me in the draft though.

Yeah.. no thanks. He’s not that good. Nothing will ever shock me in the draft though.
I mean if Ivey is the consensus #4 I’m not sure we can say Mathurin isn’t that good. I think the difference between them isn’t huge and I would not be shocked if he became the better player. I’d take Ivey but it’s not ridiculous at all.

I mean if Ivey is the consensus #4 I’m not sure we can say Mathurin isn’t that good. I think the difference between them isn’t huge and I would not be shocked if he became the better player. I’d take Ivey but it’s not ridiculous at all.

You may very well be right. I live in Arizona and watched a lot of Wildcats games this year. Not overly impressed with any of the players but Mathurin’s stats are pretty good. Better than what I would have guessed.

Is: the Jazz suck.

Ought: we ought to trade for players who better contribute to victory.

Causality: the constant conjunction of Jazz players playing weak defense and the Jazz losing in the playoffs is not metaphysical nonsense.

Design: natural selection rules the Jazz’s future.

Morality: We feel angry at the Jazz leadership because they are disingenuous.

These are my Humean insights.