What's new

Would you trade ...

Cavs would be smart to offer us something for him... Boston too but it likely would not be enough for me to move him.

This is the trade we should be doing today. Atlanta reports say they want 2nd rounders for Belinelli and Ilyasova. Just send them 2 and Burks for those guys.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y87bp2xz

Burks, our 2018 2nd and a future 2nd
for
Ilyasova and Belinelli

Both are solid expiring players. Its a little roster shakeup that doesnt scream tank but helps the future since we clear Burks' money.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Bucks outgoing: Jabari Parker, Maker, Teletovic, (maybe a future first?)
Bucks incoming: Deandre Jordan

Clippers outgoing: Deandre Jordan
Clippers incoming: Derrick Favors, Rodney Hood, Thon Maker (Bucks future first)

Jazz outgoing: Derrick Favors, Rodney Hood
Jazz incoming: Jabari Parker, Teletovic

I haven't decided if I think this makes sense, but it could be an interesting angle to explore. The Bucks seem to really want Deandre Jordan, but it's kind of hard to envision how they can make that trade work financially, largely because I would imagine the Clippers aren't too high on the idea of taking back bad salary, unless they're getting something like the Brooklyn pick as well.

Why for the Bucks - Going along with the narrative that they really want DJ here. Having him makes Jabari's next contract even more of a predicament, and they end up having to pay a bit of a premium to get off Teletovic's contract. They lose a future pick and a promising young player (Jabari), but they get out of a bad contract and bring in the player they are (supposedly) coveting at their position of need. I don't think they would really think twice about the Maker inclusion, and honestly he's mostly there to make salaries work.

Why for the Clippers - They get a talented young wing with upside and RFA rights in Hood. Favors probably makes a (perhaps significantly) better replacement for what they're losing in DJ than anything else they're going to find. Doubt they really care a lot about Maker, but what the hell. They get a future Bucks pick, which could end up being pretty nice if **** hits the fan in Milwuakee.

Why for the Jazz - They seem to like Jabari a lot, and this brings him in without giving up too much. Favors is already considered gone, and while I think they still really like Hood, my guess is they happily turn him into Parker, given the chance. Taking back Teletovic sucks, but if it gets you a chance at a third franchise player without giving up the farm, wth.

I guess if needed the Jazz could send picks somewhere (probably 2nd rounders? maybe one to each?).

I like that radioh. Clippers could use Favors and Hood. Bucks are already rumored to want Jordan. I think most every Jazz fan would take Parker and his potential over Hood right now.

I like that radioh. Clippers could use Favors and Hood. Bucks are already rumored to want Jordan. I think most every Jazz fan would take Parker and his potential over Hood right now.

I wouldn't. I would take Hoods streakiness and ******** himself over a guy with two ACL tears on the same knee. No thanks!

If we got Parker before the deadline, we would know what we had before we re-sign him. He is going to be healthy enough to play for a couple months this season.

If he isn't worth a lot, we don't give him a lot this summer. Same with Hood, we could lose him too if some team signs him to a contract this summer we don't feel like we should match.

Is it?

Cleveland would likely want to bring in a much more hefty haul if they were to trade away their precious pick, especially considering that ESPN’s Dave McMenamin made it clear that the Cavs are likely hesitant to trade it at all so that they can use it as an insurance plan if LeBron James leaves the team in free agency. Therefore, Utah’s chances of earning such a prize from them is probably little to none.

Then why write the article?

2018 cap space is a myth. 2018 free agents aren't worth it. We should be taking on 2019 expirings and take on whatever assets that come along with facilitating those deals.

@NAOS @Saint Cy of JFC

Nobody is thinking like a GM trying to conduct an orchestra.

It's clear to me that DL geared up to use 2018 as a fight between CLE and BOS in the East. It's the only thing that makes sense from what he did last summer combining now with a forward looking stance. I believe he was 98% sure Gortat Haywood was gone by July. The Rubio signing had nothing to do with retaining Haywood and was part of a hope that him, Burks, Favors, and Hood would progress and increase trade value to one of those two EC contenders.

Then he went out and grabbed a bunch of excellent substitute players that could help both of those EC teams, with the possibility of Dan Gilbert saving himself tens of millions. He was thinking 10 tradable assets, plus draft picks. Joe J, Jereb J, Thabo, Favors, Ingles, Burks, Exum, Rodney, Rubio, Udoh. Unfortunately, all the retained players outside of the oft injured Favors have been a thud. Joe is done. Exum, eh, someone please take him so DL doesn't have to pick up the QO. Burks doesn't fit with Utah's offense that draws multiple defenders pounding him and everyone else in the paint, but he still has value. Hood has proven to be a mid-deep bench player. Ingles is going to jingle and adds so much more than his box score. Anyone would love to take him off Utah's hands.

Rubio sucks ***. All other vet signings still have a ton of value outside this B.S. Utah Jazz injury plague that took Thabo.
Rubio is an expiring in 2019 and was signed on hope for a this season trade + an expiring asset to facilitate a trade next season. LA Lakers used this same approach to load up over the cap and LT.

Wait until this offseason and turn Rubio into George Hill and get Mirotic after winning the lotto and selecting Doncic.

Don’t do anything that makes us better this year.

I do wonder with the lack of teams willing to take on LT salary and the amount of expiring contracts we have (there aren't many of those either) if we could get a premium by eating some salary.

The myth that we have cap space needs to die. We don't unless we get off of AB and Rubio. Take on salary now... use MLE this offseason if there is anything good in FA. FA crop is also poopy this year.

I do wonder with the lack of teams willing to take on LT salary and the amount of expiring contracts we have (there aren't many of those either) if we could get a premium by eating some salary.

The myth that we have cap space needs to die. We don't unless we get off of AB and Rubio. Take on salary now... use MLE this offseason if there is anything good in FA. FA crop is also poopy this year.
Agreed. This year's FA class sucks. Insert obligatory plug for Mirotic. Go pick up some salary. Dumping Burks and Rubio (even if we take back the same type salary) at least clears us of the pressure to play them (well, Rubio).

I would do that trade. If we could still land Mirotic even if it is for a lottery protected first we could have a lot of potential in that team.

Exum-Mitchell-Oubre-Mirotic-Gobert is an athletic, good shooting, great defense, and lots of potential starting lineup with a solid vet bench and most likely a lottery pick this year.

Oubre is cheaper for next season and has a lot more up side than Hood. He is a lot more athletic, can shoot well and play good defense.

Interesting. Oubre is having a pretty good year and is super long. Has a year left on his rookie deal after this. Exum/Mitchell/Oubre gives you a very long and athletic backcourt. Feels like a guy who could breakout next year in a bigger role.

I'd think Wiz say no as it would be difficult for them to keep Hood and Favors next year as I think they have a bad cap situation looming. Will probably look to trade Oubre next year and hope they can package him w/ Mahini.